Home Made Drum Sanders

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

HappyHammer
Gidgee

Home Made Drum Sanders

Post by HappyHammer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to build some of the tools and jigs needed to build guitars. I've noticed pictures of what look like home made drum sanders. Has anyone done a tutorial on how to build these.

Any info. or plans gratefully received.

HH.
Always look on the bright side......

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:18 pm

H, I don't know if there are any tutorials out there at any of the forums I've frequented. But there are some so threads at the MIMF. I know that there is a serious backlog getting stuff into the library, but it may still be worth the look see.
Shopnotes, US version, did an article a year or so ago. http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/thickness-sander/
I'm going to have a go at it, with a few modifications just as soon as I get the dust collection/containment system in place. Right now that has a much higher priority.

HappyHammer
Gidgee

Post by HappyHammer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks for the link I was thinking of something attached to a motor rather than a table saw similar to this one in Ron Wisdom's Build Journal.

HH.
Always look on the bright side......

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:26 pm

G'day and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure Ron will be along before too long to give you some advice on how to construct the sander.

Cheers

Bob

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:53 pm

The Guild of American Luthiers Lutherie Tools book has several articles on building such things. Most of those articles are 20 or so years old as that is what you had to do in those days. Carbatec and other tools shops will now sell you one for well under a grand and with a little tweaking they work just fine. Building one will probably cost you less in dollars outlaid, but if you have the cash buying one will save lots of time. I bought one almost ten years ago and can't work out how I coped without it.

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:04 pm

I built one pretty much identical to Ron's. I think we even use the same paper (velcro backed 6" Klingspor). It works, if it is set up right you can get precision to 0.1 mm over the width of a guitar soundboard. However, the "armstrong" power feed method gets old if you have a lot of sanding to do. I plan to upgrade to a commercial sander one of these days.
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Here are a couple of snap shots.

The drum on mine is 150mm x (approximately) 700mm, and have a 1,1 kW 3 phase motor on it. I usually use 80 grit paper on it and tape the ends with duct tape.

Two words: dust collection! Don't build one until you have a decent DC, this thing kicks up a ton of dust.

It can also very effectively kick your wood back towards you, so you need to pay attention at all times.

Image[/img]
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:24 pm

If you put a dollar value on the hours of labour plus parts that you will put into building a home made thickness sander you may find that you are better off looking at something like the Performax 10/20 which sells for around $900 here in Australia.

I know it sounds a lot but there are an amazing amount of jobs that you can get done with a machine like this and they really are a nicely engineered and robust machine.

Tracy Leveque from Luthier Supplies will have a fingerboard radius jig in around 3 weeks that'll work with one of these sanders and will do a compound radius.

They're also invaluable for bindings, thicknessing headstock veneers, bridgeplates. It's one of the most versatile pieces of machinery in our workshop.

Food for thought anyway.

Cheers

Bob

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:40 pm

H, I don't intend to use a tablesaw as support and power. I'll build a frame and mount the motor underneath. I'm also widening it to a 22'' drum.