Side Bending

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

pj2
Gidgee

Side Bending

Post by pj2 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:28 pm

I have built a couple of classical acoustic guitars in the past. I am now
planning to build an acoustic steel string guitar but the side bending machine that I borrowed has since been sold.

What I am wondering is do you know of any places/ companies I can pay to bend the sides of the guitar for me ?

Thanks for your help
PJ

woodrat
Blackwood

Re: Side Bending

Post by woodrat » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:05 pm

pj2 wrote:I have built a couple of classical acoustic guitars in the past. I am now
planning to build an acoustic steel string guitar but the side bending machine that I borrowed has since been sold.

What I am wondering is do you know of any places/ companies I can pay to bend the sides of the guitar for me ?

Thanks for your help
PJ
Hi PJ I wouldn't get anybody to bend my sides for me. You can make a Fox type bender with some ply offcuts and a few metal parts. Mine was made up from stuff that I had lying around at home. I want to upgrade sometime to a silicone blanket but for now the lightbulbs will have to do for the foreseeable future.Image
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:21 am

You can always do what the Spanish makers have done for years...bend sides over a hot copper or brass pipe. The heat source can be a simple as cotton balls soaked in metho or a propane torch. I made one with an electric heating element in it that I can power through a VariAC to control the heat.
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:54 am

Here is my bending iron. Truck tail pipe section, electric charcoal starter, router speed control, grill thermometer. I have done two guitars with it, and it works just fine.Image
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:39 am

Electric charcoal starter...brilliant! Didn't have 'em back in my day when I built mine...

Waddy, is that stainless steel for the pipe? Important detail to prevent rust staining wood...
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:58 am

Not stainless, Rick, but it stays rust free in my humidity controlled environment. I keep it wiped off, and scrub it with one of those synthetic steel wool pads when I'm through with it. If it does start to rust, I'll sand it clean.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:32 am

Probably wouldn't want to use stainless steel, granted it would stay rust free, but it has poor thermal properties that wouldn't assist in bending sides (inconsistant heat regions e.t.c). You would be better off either using Waddy's method of cleaning it well after use or using a Copper or Brass pipe.
My first setup was a length if pipe (thick walled boiler pipe if I remember rightly) with a lug welded on (something to clamp it in a vice with) & an old Kerosine paint burner, cost me bugger all.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.