merbau for fingerboard

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

scuffle
Myrtle

merbau for fingerboard

Post by scuffle » Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 am

hi guys!

i did i quick search on the topic but couldnt find anything conclusive so i thought i would ask.
doing my first build and was wondering if merbau would be okay for a fingerboard or will it be absolute rubbish?
didnt want to spend to much on materials for first build just in case i ruin it but i still want it half playable :D

cheers
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

auscab
Blackwood

Re: merbau for fingerboard

Post by auscab » Tue May 28, 2013 4:06 pm

If you read up on how it loses it's coloured sap or tannins when it gets moist you may choose not to use it.

Below is copied from a website .

[ Merbau is a very oily timber, one of the reasons that it is successfully used in the manufacturing of outdoor furniture. The sap is the oil that occurs naturally (also known as Tannin), deep in the timber, which uniquely protects the timber from splitting and cracking. However, the furniture leaches when first exposed to rain, heavy dew and other moisture. The oil comes from excess sap, which can easily be flushed away through hosing the furniture.

If you choose to wash down your Merbau by hosing, it may take several hours before the Tannin will bleed or leach out of the furniture. In some instances, the use of a sprinkler to wash down the product may be more appropriate. ] end Quote

I have seen it leach out , off a deck and it is intense, you could have a problem with Red fingers for a while .

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Tue May 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Maybe you should buy good material and then you'll be extra carefull to make it better than half playable. Wayne

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Tue May 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Isn't it like $16.60 (Stew Mac) to $40 max (Retail Store in Aus like Aus luthier Supplies) for a reasonably high quality Indian Rosewood Fretboard?

Stu

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_nec ... uitar.html

https://guitarwoods.com.au/catalog/prod ... 1hrc91dp83

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Welcome to the forum scuffle.

My experience with Kwila has been all good. Lovely tap tone, glues and finishes well. I use it for 1 piece eub necks and
laminated body rests. I just used a bit for 3 cbg U Bass necks. My only complaint is the yollow flec in the pores. More prominent on some boards less on others. You might at least practice cutting a fret board with it if its a 1st time.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

JJ model
Blackwood

Post by JJ model » Wed May 29, 2013 4:29 am

Merbau is a very good wood and using it for fretboard is much better than many rosewood . you are not going to play your guitar in the rain so there is nothing to worry about the sap. I have used it for my guitars and i can tell its as good as any rosewood if not better. :shock:

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Wed May 29, 2013 5:52 am

Sliced up a fairly old piece of Merbau yesterday for use under a foot pump and like Bill noticed a small amount of yellowing just like a chalky colour. It may not relate to its use as a f/b , it was pretty straight grained but I wouldn't be surprised if glue didn't wick through from the underside cos there would be plenty of work for a strong team of pore fillers and a bucket or 2 of Zpoxy with the bit I ratted.

Steve