Bending the headstock plates

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Bending the headstock plates

Post by Dave Anderson » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:33 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,
Well, I managed to get the back hs. plate bent and glued on after cracking the 1st AND 2nd plates. I never had trouble bending ebony for this before but this guitar just didn't want to have ebony for the headstock overlays I guess, so I switched to a piece of bookmatched brw. sprayed some Supersoft2 and it bent very nicely. I sprayed the ebony with SS2 also but It didn't help much.It was a stubborn and dense piece of wood!I'm using Schallers with ebony buttons so I thought ebony plates would look good.This guitar is Really fightin' me! But , I'm glad it worked out this way.
I like bending this piece with the pipe vertical.I can control it better.
Scraped and sanded

Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:23 am

Very nice bit of brw Dave, the job has turned out well worth the perseverance. Just a thought but maybe if you went a little thinner the ebony would have been OK.

Cheers

Kim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:44 am

Mmmmmmmmmmm Nice. You certainly put some work into your headstocks don't you Dave :wink: And a good thing too, I enjoy watching your work. 8)
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:49 am

Kim, I did go as thin as I thought possible with the ebony at .070 (same as the front overlay). A little thinner
might have worked but wouldn't look right to me. This was just some mean,rock hard ol' ebony that had
no intention of bending. It's strange because I bent ebony for my L-00 at the same thickness
with no problems but all wood is different right. You never know which piece is going to fight you.
Anyway,I'm glad I ended up using brw. for it .I think it will be fine with the ebony tuners.Thanks Kim.

Thanks Nick. Yes, I guess I do put a lot into my headstocks . I enjoy working on necks even when they don't
want to cooperate sometimes! :D
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Dave Anderson wrote: Anyway,I'm glad I ended up using brw. for it .I think it will be fine with the ebony tuners.
And so you should be Dave it's a great looking headstock and the eb tuners will be the just roos shoes. :D

Cheers

Kim

rocket
Blackwood

headstock

Post by rocket » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:26 pm

nice looking headstock with the volute dave, pardon my ignoance everyone , but what is supersoft 2 and where don you get it?

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Super Soft II is a veneer softener.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/product_i ... cts_id=616

I don't know if the guys ever found a source of something similar there or not. I've shipped a gallon over. Shipping ended up being twice the cost of the softener. But there was enough there to last a good long while.
Last edited by Lillian on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi all and thanks Lillian - beat me to it :)

Yeah it's available here too. Judging by what Lillian stated, some members may have been looking for it. Perhaps I wasn't a member at the time for I have not seen the conversation and would have helped out. For future reference, here is the link to buy it in Australia -

http://www.carbatec.com.au/craft-access ... r-softener

or here -

http://www.rivergumtimbers.com.au/index ... &Itemid=26

This stuff is a veneer softener too but I'm not sure whether there are proprietary differences between the two products. I imagine they are very similar with minor differences and ultimately do the same thing anyway.

Speaking to the owner/manufacturer here he assures me his 'chemists' analyzed others available on the market and eventually 'modified' his to be slightly different again. He spent significant time doing the R&D for it. Yet to try it personally though but its worth a crack at.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy.