Just completed first Flamenco Negra

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

johnparchem
Blackwood

Just completed first Flamenco Negra

Post by johnparchem » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 am

I just completed my first Flamenco Negra. It has the flamenco sound, percussive a lot of separation while played, much less sustain than my classical guitars and easy to play very fast. Before starting the project I was not sure I knew what a Flamenco Negra was. I luckily got my hands on a couple of good negras and was disabused of the notion that the Flamenco players were just jealous of the Classical guitar players, and negras were more like classical guitars than blancas. The best one I heard while having rosewood back and sides was very light relative to a classical and did sound like a flamenco guitar. With that in mind I voiced the top like my blancas: thin top and five fan braces tall enough to bring the resonance up to a 190 Hz T(1,1)2 target. I used Honduran Rosewood for the back and sides; not the best choice as it is very dense. I was able to thin the back to a bit under 2 mm because it was so stiff. With consideration toward low mass I also took the sides to 1.8 mm. The negras often have slot head tuners so I used spanish cedar.

I had a really good Carpathian spruce top set. I almost did not use it as it rang for ever. However, it was relatively stiff for its density, so I figured I would use it thinner than I would for a classical guitar (I dropped the vibrational stiffness to from 60 to 55 in the thickness calculations). I was going to drop the backs vibrational thickness as well but I was a afraid to thin it much under 2 mm. Here are my thickness calculations using the process and equations from The Book.

Final bracing

Top was installed with individual peones for linings to reduce the impedance top to side.

The guitar has a quick Shellac French Polish on a Silvertip epoxy pore fill.

youtu.be/MGHaBbxKAHY

Here are the final spectrum plot.
spectrum.jpg
Here is my flamenco teacher playing it capoed

youtu.be/eA3huoivFyA

Here I am playing it (I am not very good) but you can hear more of the guitar.

youtu.be/wqeiU4oCVME

The guitar.

Semmens Guitars
Sassafras

Re: Just completed first Flamenco Negra

Post by Semmens Guitars » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Looks and Sounds great John well done!!!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:51 am

Nice work John...as always.
Martin

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:58 pm

Excellent craftsmanship. Amazing finish. Like the timber combinations and the detail information on the build and testing results.

Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:00 pm

LOL.....I notice you've got Savarez Corums on the guitar.. I used to run Saverez on all my classicals but recently switched to Hannabachs.
Martin