Bridge plate

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

limehills
Kauri

Bridge plate

Post by limehills » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:01 pm

Ok so I just noticed that I have somewhat messed up this bridge plate position in this dreadnought. As you can see in the attached photo the line is where it ends, and the front is where I placed the bridge on the top, so only about 2/3 of the bridge itself is over the bridge plate which isn't exactly ideal. The guitar itself is braced well and very stiff, I'm just worried that the bridge plate is positioned so badly it will be unaffective. I'm not really sure what to do so any advice is appreciated.
IMG_20201106_235225835.jpg
Laurence.

TallDad71
Blackwood

Re: Bridge plate

Post by TallDad71 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:44 pm

I think you’ll be ok to carry on.

The bridge plate is adding to the stiffness at the centre, the bridge pin holes are tracking their way through the plate, so that’s all good.

The only small risk is that if it were to belly up then the curve of the belly could get close to under the bridge.

Small risk on a stiff board.

Why is the bridge plate misplaced? Is it just too small or is it likely that your bracing is similarly pulled forward meaning that the ends of your bridge don’t overlap with the braces?
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Jim watts
Blackwood

Post by Jim watts » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:48 am

Bummer, at this point if the guitar is for you I would just carry on and if there's a problem down the road fix it then.
It is possible to remove a bridge and put in a new one, although I've never done it. You also might be able to add to the existing bridge plate with a narrow strip, it might be worth a try if the guitar is for you.
If the guitar is for someone else I'd try to figure out how to redo it, maybe even re-top the guitar.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:13 pm

I agree with the replies you have got so far. You want the bridge plate to extend in front to the bridge, to counter the rotation of the bridge forwards - but yours is OK in that direction. You need the pin holes to pass through it to reinforce the top against the ball ends of the strings - but that is OK also. You might be at risk for belly-up of the top behind the bridge, but it might be OK. Is it X-bracing, and do the wings of the bridge extend beyond the X brace arms? If so it might all be OK.
One option is to add an extra transverse brace immediately behind the bridge plate. Canadian luthier Mario Proulx is known for doing this in some of his very well regarded drednaughts. It has euphemistically been termed The Proulx Magic Tone Enhancer. You could add one and claim that you intended it all along. It is not too hard to add it through the soundhole after the box is closed. I gather Mario would sometimes do this after the guitar is finished - if it needs extra magic! Check it out here:
http://www.proulxguitars.com/buildup/build6.htm
The PMTE was a hot topic of discussion about a decade ago on the MIMF.