Building a Selmer Maccaferri guitar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Building a Selmer Maccaferri guitar

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:51 pm

I have a mate who would like me to build him a Maccaferri-style guitar. I actually have the two sets of plans produced by Francois Charle (and I am armed with some advice from Ross that those plans have a problem concerning neck angle). I have seen a number of recommendations for the book "Building a Selmer-Maccaferri Guitar", by Michael Collins - and also a 10-disk DVD set (yes, ten) by Mr Collins. Unfortunately, it seems that the book has been out of print for many years and is now unobtainable. Does anyone happen to have a copy that they want to sell or loan?

And I would be grateful for any tips that people want to offer me about building this style of instrument. My experience so far is with American-style flat-tops. What could be different???

Lillian
Blackwood

Re: Building a Selmer Maccaferri guitar

Post by Lillian » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:57 am

Check with your library and see if they can arrange an international loan. Lincoln College in the UK has a copy. The call number is 787.87 COL.

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:03 am

Mark, I have a spare copy of the book, still in its shrink wrapping. I accidently bought two of them. I am happy to sell it. Perhaps you could send me a personal message, and we can sort out the details. Mike.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:15 pm

Nice thought Lilian - but it seems I have been lucky that Mike has one.
Mike, that is perfect. Thanks. PM sent.
Mark

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:34 am

Mike Thomas wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:03 am
Mark, I have a spare copy of the book, still in its shrink wrapping. I accidently bought two of them. I am happy to sell it. Perhaps you could send me a personal message, and we can sort out the details. Mike.
Sweet!

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Have a look at posts by Craig Bumgarner re the Selmer builds-there is some data there... Also, the neck angle is critical for tone, the recommended bridge height is 18mm. I re curved braces no1 and no2 in order to get the neck angle and a smooth lengthways soundboard curve past the soundhole to the bridge, along with the neck extension fitting flat onto the table. Solid linings are important. Some builders take the approach of following the F.Charle curves on the plan, and are comfortable with the wedge between the table and the neck extension which obviously gives more room for a pickup. -cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:23 am

The book arrived already. Thanks Mike.
Thanks also Ross for the additional advice. I had gathered that solid linings are significant part of this style of build. I will need to pay careful attention to the neck and soundboard geometry.

What are your thought on solid wood versus laminted back and sides? I have done bent laminations for furniture building before so I could give it a go. But it seems like a lot of trouble to source the veneers and set it all up . On the other hand I have some nice sets of solid walnut, and also some rosewood, which could do the job and look great.

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:47 pm

I've made 2 selmers Mark and used solid timber on both, I found it quite ok and easier for me than laminating which is the main reason for it.
Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:30 pm

I think Nick Oliver has built a few. He's not active at present but a PM may get a response. There are quite a few threads on the subject of Selmer Maccaferri guitars....here's one to get you started viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7344&p=80738&hilit= ... rri#p80738
Martin