Fingernail issues

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Fingernail issues

Post by Dave M » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:32 am

I have always had problems with weak nails. The problem with conventional fixes is the use of CA glue which makes the nail even weaker.

I had to go to the dentist the other day and I noted the use of UV catalysed resin for fillings. I wonder if this is being used for nail reinforcement at all.

Anybody heard anything?

Dave
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Fingernail issues

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:46 pm

I'm a long time classical player and have always played with the callouses rather than nails.
Martin

ka_who
Wandoo

Post by ka_who » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:15 am

that's interesting. the thing you describing actually exists and I bet there are one of those shops in almost every shopping center. they call it UV gel nail or something like that and they use the same principle to building nails as dentists filling cavities. I looking into it because I was looking for some cheap UV curable resin for a project and thought nail gel might be a good source for resin. I wouldn't recommend the dentist resins as they are extremely expensive and unbelievably hard. also not sure if they have a very good bound with the nail as I know dentists usually create some physical bound as well. I know you can bye gel nail building kit for cheap but it could be easier if you check the nail salons and ask them if the nail building gel work for guitar players.
edit: also found this on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1MDFLfn6l8

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:57 am

Thanks ka_who it's nice that my speculation turns out correct. I will have to pursue that.

Dave
------------------
Dave

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:12 pm

I met Flamenco master Paco Pena in Melbourne years ago. His fingernails were all reinforced with layer upon later of hide glue! Needless to say that it wasn't a good look! I had a girlfriend who swore by soaking her fingernails each night for half an hour in Apple Cider Vinegar...well, we didn't last long enough for me to get around to trying it myself....cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"