Building a Baritone Uke

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

Building a Baritone Uke

Post by Lillian » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:41 am

I decided to do a scratch build along side of the StewMac kit. So far so good. Got the plates joined and planed/sanded to thickness. That was actually therapeutic. Nice sharp blade making curlies appear. But it's been awhile since I've done anything, so I got a blister on my palm, which sent me to the sander. I'm gonna get this done one way or another.

It's time to make the tiny braces. I've made two using a plane with mixed results. Ended up with something line a 12" radius. I can't pop out to the lumber yard and get what I need to make a radius dish, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to get a radius on the brace bottoms without a radius dish.

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Building a Baritone Uke

Post by Allen » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 am

It would be years ago that I think it was Robbie O'Brien showed a jig that clamped some brace wood that he would "spring" the brace into and pinch tight into the desired radius. Then it was a plane or flat piece of sandpaper on a board that would remove material so when released you had a radius on it.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks Allen. I do remember that jig, now that you've mentioned it. I ended up gluing the StewMac back and putting a strip of sandpaper down between the braces and using it to put the radius on the other braces. It seems to have worked. The last brace on the scratch build is gluing up now.

CNCWorksNZ
Kauri

Post by CNCWorksNZ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:16 pm

Here's mine, which I have only just finished last Week.

Mahogany Neck / Cedar Sides, SoundBoard & Back / PurpleHeart FretBoard & Bridge / Aquila Baritone Strings / Bone Nut & Saddle / Mahogany Binding & Rosette / Piezo Pickup / Shellac Finish
Attachments
IMG_1067.jpg

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:48 pm

Nice
A balalika next?

CNCWorksNZ
Kauri

Post by CNCWorksNZ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:31 am

Andos wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:48 pm
Nice
A balalika next?

I don't want to hijack the OP's Thread, but each and every Instrument I have made, (this is #17), has something different that I haven't done before, just to push my Skill-Set further. First one as a Balalaika, and first Classical Style Bridge.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:32 am

No worries CNCWorksNZ, ah, mind sharing your name? Your user ID is a tab bit long.

Any chance of seeing the rosette? In your opinion, does the body shape affect the sound? Or did you change too many elements to really say?

CNCWorksNZ
Kauri

Post by CNCWorksNZ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:27 pm

Lillian wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:32 am
No worries CNCWorksNZ, ah, mind sharing your name? Your user ID is a tab bit long.

Any chance of seeing the rosette? In your opinion, does the body shape affect the sound? Or did you change too many elements to really say?

Murray is my Name.
Rosette is attached, let me know if you see what the pattern is ...
Body shape gives it a very loud volume, equal to my Classical Guitars. Body is 300mm high, 65mm deep, and 300mm across the Butt.

Attachments
IMG_1068a.jpg

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:37 pm

Thanks for the pic Murray. Its paw prints, the question is canine or feline. I'm going to go with man's best friend. Which of the many cedars did you use? I'm not sure if any of the local cedars are hard enough to consider using. What I've come across will dent if you look at them hard.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:49 am

Western Red Cedar is indeed soft but makes a great soundboard on nylon strung instruments.

Yellow Cedar is a bit harder and also makes a great soundboard. I've used both for clients.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

CNCWorksNZ
Kauri

Post by CNCWorksNZ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:13 pm

Lillian wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:37 pm
Thanks for the pic Murray. Its paw prints, the question is canine or feline.

=^..^= It's the Manager's 'Paw of Approval'
Attachments
IMG_1741a.jpg

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Allen wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:49 am
Western Red Cedar is indeed soft but makes a great soundboard on nylon strung instruments.

Yellow Cedar is a bit harder and also makes a great soundboard. I've used both for clients.
Yup, I'm familiar with cedar as a soundboard. I'm planning on using WRC on the next one. But this is the first time I've heard it used for the back and sides. I just assumed it was another case of us being separated by a common language. There are a lot of different trees that have the same common name, so I just assumed it was one of your local cedars, totally unrelated to anything we call cedar up here.

OH my.
Murray, please apologize to your manager.
I truly did not mean to offend. I'll send a can of stinky fish if it will remove that look of utter disdain for my existence.

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:24 am

Sorry Lillian, the manager looks incorruptible.

Forgive my ignorance if I have this wrong, I thought balalikas only had 3 strings and what you built is a hybrid.
A balalele maybe
It looks good though - deserves it own thread.

CNCWorksNZ
Kauri

Post by CNCWorksNZ » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:19 am

The Instrument is a Baritone Ukulele with a Soundbox shaped like a Balalaika and tuned D3G3B3E4 as per a Baritone Uke.

Balalele or Ukulaika ... your choice ...

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:03 pm

The top and back are now joined to the sides. That went surprisingly well. I was going to trim the overhang tonight, but I can't find the spindle wrench for the router. Actually I'm not sure I had one. The Colt has a spindle lock, but my left thumb isn't strong enough any more to hold the lock in while trying to turning the wrench on the collet. But I'll have another look in the morning. And if I can't find it, I'll deal with the frets and start on the scratch neck. There's lots to do while I wait a replacement spindle wrench. Might have to pick up some PB Blaster to help free up the collet. Its been a while since I used it. :oops: