Black marks/stain in grain

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

benldwyer
Sassafras

Black marks/stain in grain

Post by benldwyer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Howdy All,
Just a quick (probably silly) question, I have an unfinished flame QLD maple cap on a guitar and I sprayed it with water to bring out the grain and wood colour and after the wood dried I was left with a black stain in the grain covering half of the guitar...what did I do..? Is it because I used tap water?
Cheers in advance

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Black marks/stain in grain

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:14 pm

Can you put up a photo? Sounds like either something in the water or something water soluble on the wood that the dousing has spread around.
Martin

benldwyer
Sassafras

Post by benldwyer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:36 pm

With water and after it had dried, you can see on the right hand side the staining isnt bad and I gave it a light sand wich seemed to work ok but there is still black in the flame so I stopped to see if I could find another solution rather than sand anymore..
Attachments
20190723_182802.jpg
20190721_111201.jpg

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:59 am

That looks like staining due to a mix of iron and carbonate ions in your water reacting with the tannins in the wood (i.e. hard water plus iron plus tannins). A certain fix for that is to wash it down with a mild solution of oxalic acid in pure (de-ionised) water. Oxalic acid is available in crystal form from Bunnings as a deck cleaner. Don't use too much (a teaspoon of oxalic acid crystals dissolved in a cup of warm water is plenty) or you will end up with a red hue in the wood. Wash down afterwards with a mild acid solution e.g. white vinegar in pure water. You could try starting with a wash down of white vinegar in water and that may just do the trick. But if it doesn't, you now know what will work. Oxalic acid is a bit nasty, so observe the safety instructions on the container.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:03 am

Trevor Gore wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:59 am
That looks like staining due to a mix of iron and carbonate ions in your water reacting with the tannins in the wood (i.e. hard water plus iron plus tannins). A certain fix for that is to wash it down with a mild solution of oxalic acid in pure (de-ionised) water. Oxalic acid is available in crystal form from Bunnings as a deck cleaner. Don't use too much (a teaspoon of oxalic acid crystals dissolved in a cup of warm water is plenty) or you will end up with a red hue in the wood. Wash down afterwards with a mild acid solution e.g. white vinegar in pure water. You could try starting with a wash down of white vinegar in water and that may just do the trick. But if it doesn't, you now know what will work. Oxalic acid is a bit nasty, so observe the safety instructions on the container.
I was thinking the above but didn't think Queensland Maple was that high in tannins. I didn't consider high iron in the water.
Martin

bobthebuilder
Sassafras

Post by bobthebuilder » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:16 pm

Just a little aside, when I want to view the grain I spray with Iso Propal Alcohol you will find it at Bunnings it will high lite the grain then evaporate of with no residual effect. I hope you find this helpful. Cheers , Robert

benldwyer
Sassafras

Post by benldwyer » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:43 pm

Thank you All, I will give it a try and report back. I knew it was risky but was a little impatient... thanks again!

benldwyer
Sassafras

Post by benldwyer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:00 am

Hi All,
Sorry for the delay in responding, moved over to Perth for a new role.
The vinegar removed most of the stain but might have to try the harsher chems to clean it all up.
Cheers!