Fret cutting jig

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

johnosb
Kauri

Fret cutting jig

Post by johnosb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Probably over kill but....

I tried using a rule and marking knife for fretboards but couldn't seem to get them accurately marked/cut so I resorted to preslotted and radiused fretboards for my first two guitars. The two I'm currently building have 'non standard' scale lengths so I'm obliged to make my own but was seeking more accuracy than I knew I could achieve by hand. I searched the internet but couldn't find anything so came up with the following by ripping off the CNC guys.
Basically, it's an X axis gantry riding on skate bearings on 25mm square section ally tubing driven by an 8mm longthread mounted in skate bearings. A handle on the end moves the gantry 1.25mm per revolution and I extended the threaded rod through the handle to attach a drill for rapid transit. I used a digital linear encoder to provide absolute position with 0.02mm precision (about $40 off EBay) so I didn't have to worry about backlash. To keep the saw parallel to the cut I mounted a couple of rare earth magnets. Just knocked off my first and it looks like it's within 0.1mm or so accurate between each fret (digital vernier) and I can't see any error with a ruler between fret zero and 21.
After having spent a couple of hours sanding the radius, I realised that it would be simple to modify it to carry a router as per Martin Taylor's post below.

Os
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Fret cutting jig

Post by charangohabsburg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:09 am

Brilliant! :cl :cl :cl
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 am

Well that's just too clever...your banned.. :x

:D As Markus said, brilliant!! :cl :cl :cl

Cheers

Kim

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Makes my jig look prehistoric! Would love to see how the saw is mounted.

Henk H
Gidgee

Post by Henk H » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:56 am

Nice jig ! However thusfar I couln't find a reasonably priced digital linear encoder. What brand do you use and /or where did you find it ?

johnosb
Kauri

Post by johnosb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks guys,

I was sure I'd get a bollocking for using a sledgehammer on a walnut!
martintaylor wrote:Makes my jig look prehistoric! Would love to see how the saw is mounted.
The saw is held vertical by the RE magnets. I had to spend a bit of time getting it squared up and it's not too hard if you go easy with the pull saw. I found 4 or 5 easy strokes did the job. A couple of rough bits where the saw kicked a smidge but always on the edge so disappeared when radiused. I did another today and no probs, just slowed down a bit and stopped using the saw the way the old man taught me!
Henk H wrote:Nice jig ! However thusfar I couln't find a reasonably priced digital linear encoder. What brand do you use and /or where did you find it ?
Ebay. A bloke in SA is flogging them. 500mm travel was a bit over $40 - just checked EBay for a link for you and it was actually $48 including postage. Try this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DRO-Digital- ... 51a6a45353

It's sold as 600mm but it measures 500mm due to the 100mm encoder case. Pretty impressed, metric and imperial (in thou and fractions), relative measurements too and it seems accurate enough.

Modified the jig for radiusing today a la' Martin. Bloody ripper. I'm a bit under 1/4mm thinner at one end so I might have to shim the base up a bit one end apart from that, 5 to 10 minutes with the router and I'll run through a couple of grits to finish it off. I reckon less than half hour all up - bucket load better than the couple of hours of sweat and toil doing it by hand - thanks Martin!

Os
Attachments
Radius.jpg

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Looks really good. I must say, I didn't invent the concept, just copied someone else's idea but glad it is cutting down time. It certainly has for me.

johnosb
Kauri

Post by johnosb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 pm

martintaylor wrote:Looks really good. I must say, I didn't invent the concept, just copied someone else's idea but glad it is cutting down time. It certainly has for me.
Even so it's a great idea and major time saver bonus that I can add it to the slotting jig without too much hassle. Always nice to have a multipurpose jig.

johnosb
Kauri

Post by johnosb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Ah sorry Henk, just realised that you're in Holland and the dude in SA only ships to Oz. I just did a search on Ebay and found this in the US which looks like much the same sort of jigger:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/24-Digital-R ... 20caabaefc

Might even work out cheaper considering the cost shipping from here especially given the state of the US dollar.

Os

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:27 pm

John,
If you tell us that you've both tapered the rails, and adjusted each side of the bearing form to allow for a tapered fretboard radius--compound--I, for one, will never read another of your posts. You clever fellas just piss me off! :lol:

I happen to Neanderthal my way thru, tho I'm trying to become more sophisticated......... :roll:
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:20 pm

nnickusa wrote:John,
If you tell us that you've both tapered the rails, and adjusted each side of the bearing form to allow for a tapered fretboard radius--compound--I, for one, will never read another of your posts. You clever fellas just piss me off! :lol:

I happen to Neanderthal my way thru, tho I'm trying to become more sophisticated......... :roll:

Just cause we use hand tools surely that's no reason to call us Neanderthals :(
And trying to get my head round the maths/physics part of the tapered rails idea :?
Seriously, great jig though. :cl

Steve

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 am

Yeah, really nice bit of kit.

Steve, I refer only to myself :roll:

Cheers,
Nick

johnosb
Kauri

Post by johnosb » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:41 am

nnickusa wrote:John,

Not smart enough to solve that one but happy to rip off anybody that does!

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:26 am

OK, I'll keep looking at your stuff..... :lol:

Cheers,
Nick

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Nick its ok I have a mono brow.

Steve

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:40 pm

HAH :lmao

Cheers,
Nick

timbuck
Myrtle

Post by timbuck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:37 am

I really like that set up...it's accurate, just one step away from CNC..and can handle any scale :D

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:15 pm

I like that thing; do you mind if I copy your idea and build one for myself? :D
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

johnosb
Kauri

Post by johnosb » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:28 pm

EricDownunder wrote:I like that thing; do you mind if I copy your idea and build one for myself? :D
Go fer it, any improvements should be posted back but..

Bill Hodge
Gidgee

Post by Bill Hodge » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:00 pm

One sweet unit for sure!