Stinky case

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Clancy
Blackwood

Stinky case

Post by Clancy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Have received a number of cases lately that really pong!
Got 4 uke hard cases and 2 are fine while 2 have an unpleasant smell.
A classical case I got for the zouk is so bad I won't keep the instrument in it anymore!
Tried leaving that one open in the sun for 2 weeks - failed to make an impact on the odour.
Any ideas on how to remedy this without a bonfire?
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

rocket
Blackwood

Re: Stinky case

Post by rocket » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Napthalene flakes or a pouch of pot pouree might alleviate the problem!
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm

Leaving them open to air out in the shed for a few days will help heeps.

Cheers

Kim

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:19 pm

I hate that, other peoples sweat, beer and dead skin built up then eaten and shat out by bacteria that live in the fluff. I saw this the other day, use the things you put in the cloths dryer that suck up smells. Have not tried it but it was in the tech bit of a reputable guitar mag.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:31 pm

I've has some cases that have such a strong chemical / glue odour that it taints the instrument. No amount of airing out in the sun does the trick. Might seem better for a short time, but if I put the instrument in the case and close it up, the smell comes back.

I fear that there is not much that can be done for this problem other than getting a different brand of case.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Craig,are these cases New, Someone elses , old , borrowed ?

but if you are saying that you have just bought these cases new and they stink ,then you could let us know what brand they are or where you got them.

I don't want to end up with case smellin like Endiandra Palmerstonii :mrgreen:
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Brut 44.......as used by US jocks.....who cant be bothered changing their socks
Martin

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 pm

New cases, various makes, hard cases, fabric covered foam cases etc.
The problem is exactly as Allen described.
Craig

Mark Fogleman
Beefwood

Post by Mark Fogleman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:04 am

When I use to perform (we had not outlawed smoking yet) my wife made me keep my cases closed. She bought a big container of baking soda and a bag of Cat litter with the colored granules. I put ~a cup of each in a section of recycled nylon hose placed under the head stock in a closed case. It took care of the stench over night.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:28 pm

If it new cases that is even worse. Just imagine all the strange chemicals they can get away with using in China. Apart from its effects on people, those chemicals gases could impact finishes and get into the wood and make the instrument smell.
I don't keep my guitars in cases but hanging in the lounge room. Particularly when new so the finish can completely gas off and harden.
Canberra is pretty good environment and they all seem happy.
Dom

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Dominic wrote:If it new cases that is even worse. Just imagine all the strange chemicals they can get away with using in China. Apart from its effects on people, those chemicals gases could impact finishes and get into the wood and make the instrument smell.
I don't keep my guitars in cases but hanging in the lounge room. Particularly when new so the finish can completely gas off and harden.
Canberra is pretty good environment and they all seem happy.
Dom

Canberra seems toxic from here and no one seems happy. :)
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Dominic wrote:If it new cases that is even worse. Just imagine all the strange chemicals they can get away with using in China. Apart from its effects on people, those chemicals gases could impact finishes and get into the wood and make the instrument smell.
Dom
Name and shame Craig don't let em get away with it
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:26 pm

The last one I got from Cedar Creek was so totally toxic I hate to open it.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:46 pm

No point doing a name and shame, cases these days cost 25% of what they did a few years back but they are much the same product. Just let them air out and they will be fine. It will take a good while because everything in a case is a freshly made synthetic of some kind that was still gassing off when it was glued and stapled together and then sealed up for export. Just like a finish on a guitar all the stinky crap needs time to gas off but a case is a lot thicker than a few licks of nitro. Open it up and let it breath, the shed is good because the hotter the better..

Oh BTW, when they build a new car, all the plastics and vinyl's are tested to see if their omissions exceed the national standards and pose a health hazard to potential buyers (carcinogens etc). What is interesting is that apparently these test are conducted in an air conditioned lab. However independent test carried out on the air inside a locked car parked in the sun on a hot day show that a combination of these same omission which are generated at greater volumes in a heated environment, become highly toxic and are loaded with carcinogens.. Tell your missus and kids, open the door and let that crap out 'before' you get in and then drive for a while with the windows down 'and' the air con on, 'before' you seal her up.

Cheers

Kim

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:46 pm

No point doing a name and shame
I agree. The good quality custom cases smell of glue when new. Get used to it. Just air them out and all will be fine, no big deal.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:40 pm

P Bill wrote:
Canberra seems toxic from here and no one seems happy. :)
You know, those Canberra jokes just never get old. :wink: But remember, most of that toxicity is imported from outside the territory, we are just the innocent residents where your representatives choose to spew forth their political bile. And then leave it all here and go home Xmas. Canberra is like the nations repository for political toxic waste.

So spare a thought for us all here, doing our bit for the nation so you all can enjoy a toxic free life.

Cheers
Dom

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Hey Dom..............change hands :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bruce Mc.

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:06 pm

At least Annabel Crabb and the cartoonists have a good time. We had a doozie to send to Canberra but that didn't work out. White shoes and all. The cartoonists would have been overjoyed.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:25 pm

peter.coombe wrote:
No point doing a name and shame
I agree. The good quality custom cases smell of glue when new. Get used to it. Just air them out and all will be fine, no big deal.
Peter, Did you read Craig's initial post ? Seems to be a bit more than a bit of glue that he can just get used to.

It would seem to me that any case that still had an odour that is too bad to leave a guitar in after being aired in the sun for two weeks is not a case that is suitable for the purpose that it was sold for.
Tod

John Lennon

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:57 pm

I got a stinky new case recently. I picked it up at Guitar Factory, Gladesville, surprisingly cheap (can't remember exactly, but under $100) and looks really good. Very sturdy, well lined, good hinges and locks - but strong glue/solvent smell. I didn't worry too much about it in the shop, thinking that it just smelt "new". But it still smells "new", and not in a good way, 6 months later. It definitely imparts a smell to any guitar left in it for a while. I assume that it will gas off eventually, like Kim said. The brand name is Xtreme - presumably from China. I will be really happy with it if it just stops being smelly.

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:00 am

Mark McLean wrote:The brand name is Xtreme - presumably from China.
Yes, Chinese origin. What isn't these days. I bought an Xtreme ukulele case recently. Solid ruggetised construction compared to the CNB range and for the extra $10 or so for each size of case is good value. The 'muppet fur' provides good protection, and after about a fortnight of leaving the case open to the atmosphere the smell is negligible.
John M

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:35 pm

I've had the valencia classical case for about 3 years.
Every now & then I forget how bad the smell is and go to put the zouk in it (I try to rotate my 'on hand' instrument every couple of months').
The smell is still toxic.
Have considered trying baking soda or charcoal to remove the smell but am afraid that it would also excessively dry out the instrument.

Over the past year I have got 5 Ashton concert uke hard cases.
Two have had a wiff of the same smell. I am hoping that these will loose the odour.

In future I will 'sniff test' all cases before acceptance. 8)
Craig

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:15 am

Just a thought guy's, but the spray I put in my motorcycle helmet could/might do the job. After 2-3 hours riding mototrials in 35deg + heat my helmet is just dripping with perspiration [hope your not having breakfast] and can stink real bad. I spray this foam inside and the helmet has no signs of the smell it once had. Its about $16.00 - $17.00 from a dealer called Moto Central.
Taff

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:29 pm

I bought a Fender G+G tweed case for my Tele, and it has smelled from the day I got it. I've aired it, I've put stuff in it, I've sprayed it, etc, etc.....

Still smells, bit less.......... maybe
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

LizzyPie
Gidgee

Post by LizzyPie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:02 pm

I second the use of Baking Soda. I use that stuff for everything and it's a great odor absorber. I've also used these to soak up some funky odors, though never that China manufacturing smell. Not sure if you can get anything like this here though, haven't looked.

http://www.naturesairsponge.com

Good luck.