Joining Plates Jig

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Joining Plates Jig

Post by Taffy Evans » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Seems a while since I have shared anything so I thought this might be of interest.

There are many different ways to join plates and I’ve tried them all over the years. I started using rope, braces and wedges and then a less involved set up of what I’ve shown here. When I was only joining a couple of tops and backs a year rope was ok, and I still use it if the outside edges of the plates are not square, [as shown].

But now I find I’m gluing up 4 or more sets at a time so using this dedicated jig is quick and easy. It stores away under the bench and in no time it’s ready for action.

It’s just a matter of setting up the clamps, laying the two outside bearers in place, put in the plate [already glued] in the jig snug up the clamps and put the round bars through the holes in the side bearers and then the wedges [these stop the plate from trying to rise up in the middle when clamping pressure is applied] and finish tightening the clamps. I then go on with another job and return to the jig at intervals to repeat the process. It works for me.

Thanks for looking
Taff

Rick Turner
Blackwood

Post by Rick Turner » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:37 pm

I just use brown flat back tape and hinge and spring plates together with hot hide glue. This way I can do as many tops and backs as I need to in one session; I'll often do 20 or 30 at a time. No jigs required; just good fitting seams and a roll of tape.
Rick Turner
Guitar Maker, Experimenter, Diviner
www.renaissanceguitars.com
www.d-tar.com

Localele

Post by Localele » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:29 am

I use the same method Rick.Some sticky tape stretched across the joint ,then a long one down the seam,flip over apply the hot glue and stretch some more tape across the seam to close the joint.Stack them up with small spacers and sit a small weight on top.It is fast and easy and doesn't require another jig.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.