Growing Dalbergia Latifolia, East Indian Rosewood

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

alexmclean
Gidgee

Growing Dalbergia Latifolia, East Indian Rosewood

Post by alexmclean » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:58 am

The cheapest way to get tonewoods is to grow it yourself ! I'm lucky enough to have the space to do it, 6 acres in South Gippsland. I've got some Silver Wattle growing, the Bunya Pine didn't make it, and now I'm giving Rosewood a go.
I found the best way to grow it from seed ( I couldn't find tubers in Aust ) is to soak it in very hot ( not boiled ) water overnight. The seeds will germinate about 2-3 weeks earlier this way. And it helps to take the seeds out of their pods prior to planting. Sow them shallow into pots or straight into the ground, about 1cm deep. They like well drained soil and full sun.

2021 10 09 dalbergia seeds.jpg
seeds soaked, in and out of pods, ready to plant

2021 10 09 seedlings.jpg
2 1/2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 5 weeks

The seeds in pots are in a hothouse and germinate at 2 1/2 weeks. The seeds planted straight to ground are just germinating now, 6 weeks after sowing.
I plan to grow about a dozen trees, harvesting as they grow and leave 3 or 4 to reach maturity. So with some luck, I'll have bindings in 10 years, fretboards in 20 and back and sides for my granchildren.
Cheers, Alex.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Growing Dalbergia Latifolia, East Indian Rosewood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:57 pm

Great initiative.....
Let me know in about 40yrs when i can buy some wood from you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:45 am

Alex that's brilliant. I often wonder why more people don't plant rosewoods if they have the climate - it's not going to happen here in the UK!

Why stop at a dozen? with 6 acres you could plant lots, and you clearly have worked out how to germinate the seeds.

I'll leave a message to my grand nieces with your address!

Cheers Dave
------------------
Dave

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:44 am

Hi Alex
I love this idea. Do you think they will grow sufficiently without monsoonal weather? At least we have La Nina settling in for the next season or two so Gippsland might seem a bit monsoonal!

alexmclean
Gidgee

Post by alexmclean » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 am

My research says that they will grow, but they'd rather be further north in more arid zones. Yes we've been getting heaps of rain, I'll take anything that helps !