Tuner hole plugs

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Tuner hole plugs

Post by Jeremy D » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:06 am

Hi Guys,

I don't know if this is an original idea or not. I really hated cleaning out tuner holes after finishing with gloss lacquer so I decided to try and plug them.

I purchased some disposable ear plugs from bunnings, rolled him into a small cylinder and inserted them into the tuner holes. Once completely expanded cut them flush with the headstock using an exacto knife. They held up really well though epoxy pore fill and finish. You can just sand straight over them. After buffing I then just pushed them inwards from both sides with the fleshy part my thumb, breaking the lacquer around the hole then pushed them through with a chopstick. i will definitely do this again next time, saved heaps of messing around with the tuner holes.

I also placed an ear plug in the truss rod access hole in the body, saved some time masking and filling that area.
6031336.jpg
6031336.jpg (3.48 KiB) Viewed 19121 times
IMAG0666.jpg
Jeremy D

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Tuner hole plugs

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:45 pm

That looks brilliant. Do you know the brand name for the ones that you used? I will check it out on my next trip to Bunny's

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:24 pm

Mark McLean wrote:That looks brilliant. Do you know the brand name for the ones that you used? I will check it out on my next trip to Bunny's
3M "classic" plugs aren't tapered but they should work....

I you're too tight to buy ear plugs I'm sure a few of the wife's tampons would do the trick :mrgreen:
Martin

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:39 am

Mark McLean wrote:That looks brilliant. Do you know the brand name for the ones that you used? I will check it out on my next trip to Bunny's
Hi Mark,

Pretty sure it was these guys but I think any would work.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/3m-tekk-prot ... s_p5820581

It worked surprisingly well!
Jeremy D