Drum sander vs scraping plane

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

chappy
Sassafras

Drum sander vs scraping plane

Post by chappy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:40 am

Hi Fellas,

Just wondering about the merits of buying a small drum sander vs a scraping plane for small uke work.

The drum sander would be great for getting back, sides and fretboard to thickness very smartly but at a cost of about $1200 as opposed to a $200 odd for a good brand scraping plane that will do the job at a much lower cost. The only thing there is time of which I have plenty. Also pretty hard to get good used equipment without traveling.

I intend making ukes on a small scale basis and now building No.'s 3 & 4 with maybe 6 a year to keep the mind active and the rello's playing and the odd sale.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the two processes, especially how long would it take to slice off 0.050" off a uke bottom with a scraping plane.

Alan

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Drum sander vs scraping plane

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:11 pm

If you intend spending the rest of your life making ukes then IMO a scraper plane will probably do you. However I think at some stage youll feel the urge to build a guitar and this is where a drum sander is a real time saver.
Martin

Kev3
Blackwood

Post by Kev3 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Not sure about the scraper plane only.
Built my first tenor uke with a Stanley Handyman and hand sanding. The Blackwood I used wasn't happy with the plane, so pretty much all hand sanded.
Proved it was possible - then bought a drum sander :lol:
Kevin

tippie53
Myrtle

Post by tippie53 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 pm

sanders can be very helpful on figured woods. Also they are hard to beat for thicknessing accuracy.
Member of the board ASIA
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

KLW
Kauri

Post by KLW » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:52 am

I've done & do both, on my latest builds I used the drum sander almost exclusively.. but either will work.. Yo can also make a pretty functional drum sander for not a bunch of money, lots of plans out there for them.. I made mine and it cost about 200.00 (Canadian) using some salvaged parts. As people have already mentioned it is a life saver with figured woods!

Kerry
KLW Strings Luthier Blog...
http://klwstrings.blogspot.ca/

chappy
Sassafras

Post by chappy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:42 am

Thanks fellas,

Your collective advice is always welcome, lots more knowledge and experience out there than I will ever accumulate in a life time.

I have just sold off the bits of an old hobby (astronomy) and can now purchase a disc sander, 10-20 drum sander and a dust collector so that's where I'm heading in the next week, so will get an early Christmas present while the cash is there, otherwise it sits in general revenue and we know where that goes. :lol:

Cheers

Alan

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Here's another great tip that might save you some cash Re: Cleaning Drum Sander Paper.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3997&p=49740&hilit= ... per#p49740

I read this thread a few years back but it only clicked in my head the other day when I found myself needing to replace the paper (it had gummed up rather badly). A quick Spritz with the pressure washer got the paper ready to sand again.

Stu