Nut files modified.

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Nut files modified.

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:23 pm

Hi, I have a set of these Music Nomad diamond nut files, and they work fine in the cutting department, but for me, they are too small, and with my hand on the yellow handle it restricts my view of the job.

So to make them more in line with my other nut files, I did as shown in the photo. It also permits better light access from my bench light.
1-IMG_0708.JPG
1-IMG_0708.JPG (131.72 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
Also if you go shopping, I found a difference of $20.00 each, between the retail price of some dealers.
Cheers Taff
Taff

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Nut files modified.

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:19 pm

Theyre bldi expensive those files. I use the Japanese files and run them through a piece of candle to lubricate them while cutting slots.
Martin

Robert Gleason
Wandoo

Post by Robert Gleason » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:02 am

Those files are indeed expensive, but they are worth it. I have several different sets of files, and in truth no set works for every occasion. The Nomad files are very good. I like the Nomad files better because you don't need to worry about them binding. When I use my Japanese files, I plunge them into a can of paste wax, so that they don't bind.Taffy, what holds the files in your handles? I agree that the little plastic handles are a bit small. Thanks, Bob

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:16 am

Hi Bob, the inserted file is a loose fit in a slot, and then I have a thin hardwood shim that I push in that holds the file really tight.

Should that fail over time I have another method I have used before that uses two screws one at each end. but I think this will work and was far quicker and easier.

These were $20.00 cheaper than another Australian supplier, an cheaper again for me from my wholesaler.
Taff
Taff

Robert Gleason
Wandoo

Post by Robert Gleason » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:27 am

Thanks. I was thinking maybe a little set screw, but that means going to look for the Allen wrench to change files. I'll try the shim fit.-Bob

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:30 am

Hi Bob, I did not mention it earlier but, the handle shown was one of 8, one for each file. I did not want to change files either.
Taff
Taff

Robert Gleason
Wandoo

Post by Robert Gleason » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:26 pm

O.K. Makes sense.-Bob