1st falcate build slowly underway.

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jim watts
Blackwood

1st falcate build slowly underway.

Post by Jim watts » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:18 am

I've been using Trevor's books for a while now, mostly on traditional classical builds. They turn out really well, so I thought I owed it to myself to try a falcate build. This is a 12 fret 000 steel string. It's moving slow as I have another guitar I need to be working on. well, and I'm slow!

Here a photo of my top and an frequency response cur of the closed box, no binding yet. The main air is at 93 Hz, with the main top at 183. I think I'm in a good spot at this phase of the build, but not certain.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
top small.JPG
fr tap with with box closed no binding.jpg

Dave M
Blackwood

Re: 1st falcate build slowly underway.

Post by Dave M » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:37 am

You've managed to keep that top nice and clean - I don't see splodges of epoxy all over! Also the CF is laid nicely.
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:37 am

Looking good, so far Jim.

If you pre-drilled the bridge pin holes (recommended) remember to stick tape over them when you do a tap test. It will give a better indication of where your resonances will end up.

Jim watts
Blackwood

Post by Jim watts » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:22 am

:D Thanks, keeping blops of epoxy of the top is a major win :)
I did have the holes taped up, you can hear the difference too. Thanks for the reminder, it’s little details like that are easy to forget.