eBook edition?

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kitwn
Wandoo

eBook edition?

Post by Kitwn » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:19 pm

"Current supply chain conditions" preventing purchase of the book seem to have been in place on for a very long time now. Any chance of an eBook edition so that I can give back the borrowed volumes? I'm going to have to start hiding from their owner soon.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: eBook edition?

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:54 am

Sorry, there won't be an eBook edition.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:44 am

If the owner claims his books I have a back up set of books I can lend you for price of postage. Im in Adelaide.
Kitwn wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:19 pm
"Current supply chain conditions" preventing purchase of the book seem to have been in place on for a very long time now. Any chance of an eBook edition so that I can give back the borrowed volumes? I'm going to have to start hiding from their owner soon.
Martin

Kitwn
Wandoo

Post by Kitwn » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:02 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:44 am
If the owner claims his books I have a back up set of books I can lend you for price of postage. Im in Adelaide.
Kitwn wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:19 pm
Martin,
That's very kind of you. I was being a little facetious in my comment, the owner is in fact a very kind and generous person who will not leave me to build a guitar (when I finally get started!) without access to the book, but I really would like my own set.

Trevor,
Any indications of when copies will be available? There must be quite a waiting list by now.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:52 pm

Kitwn wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:02 am
Trevor,
Any indications of when copies will be available? There must be quite a waiting list by now.
Unfortunately, my crystal ball is no better than Philip Lowe's.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:46 pm

If you were Philip Lowe you'd tell everyone the book won't be available until 2014....and then release it a few months later.
Trevor Gore wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:52 pm
Kitwn wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:02 am
Trevor,
Unfortunately, my crystal ball is no better than Philip Lowe's.
Martin

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:19 pm

Stewmac seems to have a few copies left. It looks like you have to be a Stewmax member to qualify, but membership, which gives free shipping, is well worth having, particularly if you contemplate buying other stuff from them.
Attachments
Screenshot (307).png
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Jim watts
Blackwood

Post by Jim watts » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:34 am

And you get 50% off books and plans.

Kitwn
Wandoo

Post by Kitwn » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:47 pm

Jim watts wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:34 am
And you get 50% off books and plans.
With a list price of $520 AUD they can easily afford to give 50% off!
Add the cost of joining StewMAX and this still puts their price at well over $100 more than the local price and I'm not sure how other much other use I'd make of the StewMAX offers over the next 12 months to make that worthwhile.

Thanks for pointing out that option but I'll wait until I can line Trevor's pockets directly.

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:02 pm

If you are a Stewmax member, the actual price (today) is AU$260. This is not hugely different from Trevor's listed price of AU$220, but, as you pointed out, Trevor has no stock at the moment. The converted price from $US is of course not only a function of Stewmac pricing, but also a function of the exchange rate, which is very much not in Australia's favour right now. Whether being a Stewmax member is of value depends on any individual's likely purchase pattern. Shipping from the U.S. is very expensive, and to have free shipping for a year for a year's membership fee is good value for anyone who shops at Stewmac. Apart from anything else, it allows you to buy what you need at any point in time, without having to bulk out the order in order to justify the cost of shipping. I bought my books direct from Trevor, but when you can't get them from Trevor, you have to look at the alternatives.

P.S. Have a look at the first thread on the main page (Instrument Builders Forum) headed "Machiche Fingerboards on Special at Stewmac" for an example of how it often works.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:15 pm

Second hand set just listed on Facebook Marketplace. I do not know the seller, but they appear reasonably priced

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 355194873/
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:52 pm

If I didn't already own two sets I'd grab them at that price :mrgreen:
Bob_H wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:15 pm
Second hand set just listed on Facebook Marketplace. I do not know the seller, but they appear reasonably priced

Martin

Kitwn
Wandoo

Post by Kitwn » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:26 pm

Bob_H wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:15 pm

Bob,
Thanks for the PM regarding this.

I've looked at the listing and these are a 1st edition set. Is there enough extra wisdom in the 2nd edition for it to be worth my waiting to buy a new set? Otherwise I'm going to buy these if they haven't been snapped up by tomorrow.

Kit

Kitwn
Wandoo

Post by Kitwn » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:27 am

I've gone ahead and bought the 2nd hand edition 1 set of books. The price is perhaps a bit high but I did it partly as an act of charity to others... having made this purchase today I'm expecting Trevor to get notification tomorrow that a palette-load of ed2 is on it's way from the printers 😁

Now I can hand back the borrowed books and will be able to scribble freely in the margins of my own.

Kit

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:19 am

I could not grasp it then, and I still can’t…
Since recently returning to the ANZLF forum, after an absence of too many years, quite a few interesting things stood out to me. So many of the people who were contributing back then are still providing interesting posts all these years later, membership seems to have grown, and members are still as helpful and willing to share as they ever were.
However, I find there is a segment of the forum that is new to me, The Contemporary Guitar. Wow, I think it’s a bit late in life for me to get my head around all that information.
Alas, I did not get that book when it first came out as I had just purchased Ervin Somogyi’s The Responsive Guitar. Back then owning both of them I suppose would not have gone amiss. But I am wading through all the posts on here and getting useful information. It’s good to see the questions posed and the answers given.
As a boy at school, I had the opportunity to join the woodwork class, and as it got me out of an afternoon of math lessons, I jumped at the chance. I just could not get my head around doing math. In fact, I still can’t. Anyway, I got better grades in woodwork.
Many years ago I used what I could of the the methods described by Carleen Hutchins the teacher, luthier, and scientist known for her acoustical studies of the violin.
Here is a photo of me back in 1980, trying to get my head [complete with hair] around her teachings. I still have my notes, but they do not help much.
1-280913_0532.JPG
1-280913_0532.JPG (120.61 KiB) Viewed 29980 times
Much of the equipment shown in the photo was given to me by a scientist/researcher-type old guy, who was interested in my journey into acoustics, and he tried to help. He also gave me a massive strobe light and the means to drive it. He said when the plates were in motion, or even the guitar, I could slow down or freeze the vibrations at different frequencies. Needless to say, I did not get that far.
The methods used and the testing equipment may have changed nowadays, but two things seem to remain for some folks now, as it did for me then, the time it takes and the frustration experienced.
At least nowadays I require less space for testing, just enough room for my phone, laptop/iPad, an amplifier, and microphone.
Taff
Taff

Kitwn
Wandoo

Post by Kitwn » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:54 pm

The problem I had with maths at school was that nobody ever explained what use it all was. It wasn't until I joined the BBC as a trainee transmitter engineer 7 years after leaving school and 3 years after your photograph was taken that I found out that school trigonometry could explain most of how radio and television worked. If somebody had told me that when I was 15 I might have paid more attention!

Kit

Kitwn
Wandoo

Post by Kitwn » Thu May 04, 2023 9:44 am

My 2nd hand Ed 1 books arrived yesterday. They look brand new and untouched. Now that I have my own books I can scribble pencil notes in the margins and fill them with Post-It notes saying "Go onto the forum and ask Trevor about this" :D

Kit