Win 10 +usb mic

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Win 10 +usb mic

Post by Dave M » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:38 am

Has anyone had success with getting a Windows 10 PC to recognize a USB microphone?

In this case I am using an Iciicle preamp and cannot persuade the PC to see it, though it works fine on a Win8.1 machine.
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Win 10 +usb mic

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:28 am

I have an Audio-Technica ATR 2100-USB mic which works fine on Win 10 and Win 7, plugging straight into the computer. This mic can be connected as either an XLR dynamic mic or as a USB mic and works fine with either connection (mic socket or USB). The problem is likely with Win 10 not recognising the Icicle preamp as a mic. Maybe worth trying to set up the mic in an app other than VA first.

Otherwise, try Start/Settings/System/Sound/ and see if you can see the preamp on the input device drop-down. If not, on the same page go to Sound control panel and check for problems there, then check out Device properties and check there.

If you can't fix things from there, go to Start and type Device Manager in the search box and look under both Sound and USB listings to see if you can see the Icicle from there.

If you can find the Icicle, go back to VA, select the Settings tab, go to Input/Output devices and press Detect or look in the Input Device drop down box. Hopefully, you'll see the Icicle.

I hope some of that helps!

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:12 am

Many thanks Trevor. Some of that I have tried but I am still finding my way round Win 10 so I shall have to go back and be a bit more systematic.

Cheers Dave
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:36 am

Once you get behind the Win 10 GUI, you'll find that things look a lot like Win 7.

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:28 am

Again thanks for taking so much trouble. Turns out running the sound troubleshooter was the secret. It also means that AP Tuner is working as well as VA. Result.

Yes a bit of digging found Control panel which is nice. When the disaster of win 8 came out I used the big mod that someone wrote to make the interface the same as 7 so that is what I am used to. You do sometimes think that MS have put the acned adolescents in charge!

I now need to find file explorer. Don't want to live without that.
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:56 am

Good to hear!

File Explorer:

Keyboard shortcut is Windows key + e

or the long way is Start (Programs list)/ Windows System/File Explorer (then drop a shortcut onto your task bar)

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:18 am

Super. Thanks. Dave
------------------
Dave