Bolt On Neck truss Rod

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

David Stiles
Sassafras

Bolt On Neck truss Rod

Post by David Stiles » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:18 pm

Hi,

I have previously done a couple of BOBO necks but this time am going with Bolt On. I haven't found much info in the book regarding truss rod extension pocket for BO. I am using the folded truss rod per the book.

I assume that I will route out a channel through the neck block that the end of the rod will drop into as neck is put in place. I wonder about where to place the adjuster nut and how to shape the channel to retain the rod from slipping out into the body. Also when the fingerboard is finally glued down, how to stop glue entering the rod channel.

Come to think of it the finer points of this glue joint are a bit of a mystery to me.

Any tips, advice or pictures would be most welcome.

thanks
David

seeaxe
Blackwood

Re: Bolt On Neck truss Rod

Post by seeaxe » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:34 pm

I have put tape over the truss rod slot before, its quick and easy but these days I glue a thin strip of wood in so I can flatten the neck before fitting the fretboard.

If you want to be able to adjust the truss rod while the neck is bolted on, have a think about how you will get past the upper transverse brace, as this will be in between the neck block and the sound hole. There are pictures of all this in the build volume, I'm pretty sure.

The truss rod should be tight in the slot so that it cannot fall out and anyway you will need to tension it against top or bottom to stop it rattling, so again, should not fall out.
Richard

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:55 am

DavidS wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:18 pm
I haven't found much info in the book regarding truss rod extension pocket for BO.
:o !!

Section 18.9.1
DavidS wrote:
I wonder about where to place the adjuster nut
Fig 18-7
DavidS wrote:
Also when the fingerboard is finally glued down, how to stop glue entering the rod channel.
Section 18.6, esp. 2 lines up from the bottom of the page

David Stiles
Sassafras

Post by David Stiles » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:51 pm

Thanks Trevor, much appreciated. 🙂