String spacing

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

AKEric
Myrtle

String spacing

Post by AKEric » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:20 pm

Sort of an off the wall question.

The topic of string spacing at the nut takes a couple of directions. Equal spacing between string center-lines or equal spacing of the gaps between strings. If you take the later approach, why is the same principle not applied to the spacing of the bridge pin holes. From most sources I can find, usually the string spread is established at the outer bridge pins, and then the space between divided equally to find all the other locations.

Is there any reason not to use the same method for both ends of the scale length?

Sorry if this is too mundane for this forum.

Eric

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: String spacing

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:44 pm

My take.....with a single course instrument it's academic which option you go for at the nut end. On a 12 string it's less academic because you've got a bunch more strings. I go equal string centre spacing on my 6 strings and on my 12 strings and lutes I go equal string gap spacing.
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:34 pm

I use the StewMac string spacing ruler at both ends, which works on equal gap spacing. And the general rule about string spacing at the saddle is that the span between the 1st and 6th strings is equal to the width of the neck at the 12th fret. If you go wider than that at the saddle the outside strings will be running too close to the edge of the fretboard.

AKEric
Myrtle

Post by AKEric » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:30 am

Thanks for the input you guys. Mush appreciated.

Eric