Trevor’s video by Robbie

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Trevor’s video by Robbie

Post by Dave M » Sat May 02, 2020 9:32 am

I have just gone through the video published by Robbie O’Brien of Trevor going through the whole process of analysing a guitar’s responses. It is incredibly useful. It is not a criticism of the book to say that a video of many of the processes involved is very powerful. Words can only take you so far in describing these techniques.

In particular the thorough description of using VA is excellent. If like me you have been getting only middling results in spectrum analysis this course is really worthwhile. In a quick session today with my rubber hammer I have got better results than any previous goes at this.

I would seriously recommend people who are into an analytical approach to stump up for this course.

I guess the downside for Trevor is that this is cheaper and easier than attending one of his live shows!

Cheers Dave M
------------------
Dave

johnparchem
Blackwood

Re: Trevor’s video by Robbie

Post by johnparchem » Sat May 02, 2020 11:57 pm

Dave M wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:32 am
I have just gone through the video published by Robbie O’Brien of Trevor going through the whole process of analysing a guitar’s responses. It is incredibly useful. It is not a criticism of the book to say that a video of many of the processes involved is very powerful. Words can only take you so far in describing these techniques.

In particular the thorough description of using VA is excellent. If like me you have been getting only middling results in spectrum analysis this course is really worthwhile. In a quick session today with my rubber hammer I have got better results than any previous goes at this.

I would seriously recommend people who are into an analytical approach to stump up for this course.

I guess the downside for Trevor is that this is cheaper and easier than attending one of his live shows!

Cheers Dave M
I have the course as well and found it useful and I attended a live class. The video course only covers a very small portion of the live class.

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sun May 03, 2020 8:59 am

I can appreciate that John, I do not normally like video instruction but watching Trevor actually driving VA was really useful. I had missed many of the possibilities the software offers until I saw the screen shots of Trevor driving it.

I’m sure this would be true for other areas in a live session. It’s a shame we haven’t been able to get him over to the UK

Cheers Dave M
------------------
Dave

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Mon May 04, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks, just what I need. Will be my next job after picking up my vege order!!
Richard

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Tue May 05, 2020 12:56 pm

@DaveM..... Do I have to join up to Robbies site to see that? Cannot seem to find it there.
Cheers
Richard

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Wed May 06, 2020 8:25 am

Mm don’t think so Richard. If you go to his site and look at his list of online courses Trevor’s stuff is there. Something like guitar analysis etc.

Seemed like quite a bit of money but I really learned a lot so am quite happy.
It’s a great shame that nobody in the UK has been able to set up a session with Trevor.
------------------
Dave

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed May 06, 2020 4:25 pm

Hmmm.. found it straight away this time..thanks @Dave M
Richard

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:40 am

I grabbed the video too. :-)
I have just been doing my first attempt at measuring wood properties. Not as easy as Trevor makes it look.

I haven't done the calculations yet. I need to set up the spreadsheet first.
Lots of noise pollution sources. First one is the power supply for the pre-amp for the shure mic I have. A 50hz hum. That is a strong recommendation for a usb mic. However, my (W10) laptop (flash drive) is producing a variety of hums too - the fan kicks in when it is most inconvenient.

My plan B doesn't work ... I thought of recording the taps with my Tascam but VA doesn't seem to have an import option.

Last but not least, planing the wood to a nice even thickness is not as easily done as said. Next time I order some top wood I'll get it sanded to a known thickness and just smooth if off with a plane. Hmm or it could be an excuse to buy a thickness sander. :-)

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:14 am

Simon I was pleasantly surprised when I followed Trevor's suggestion of putting the mic on a stand. There had been more noise than I had realised. It is also easier to point it in the right direction.

At least with the 50 Hz one you know what it is!

Dave
------------------
Dave

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 am

My mic is on an adjustable tripod microphone stand so it should be OK.
I suspect there must be more devices "leaking" a 50hz buzz not just the transformer.

Jim watts
Blackwood

Post by Jim watts » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:49 am

I just watched these, they're a good supplement to the book.
Thanks to Robbie and Trevor!

KreherGuitars
Beefwood

Post by KreherGuitars » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:45 pm

The videos were a godsend. I was getting ok results trudging my way through different operations, then one night as I laid awake asking what I was doing wrong, I decided to take a peek online for some video help, well the day before Robbie just published the video. So I bought it and then went to sleep. It made everything so much easier. Thanks Robbie. Really looking forward to finally taking the course with Trevor at Robbie’s shop. Kills me that it has been canceled two years in a row. But I get it. This god damn virus!

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:20 am

Glad you enjoyed Trevor's video course. Trevor and I are planning on offering the course at my shop again in 2022 if the world doesn't end first! haha
www.obrienguitars.com

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:10 pm

Will add my appreciation here too. There's a few vital VA set up steps that aren't mentioned in edition 1 of the books. The mic set up stuff is helpful too, especially as its explained for two different versions of windows. I must admit I dithered a bit over the cost - but put in perspective its about the same cost or less than another hand tool in the shed so I went ahead. Its good value i.m.o. and I finally feel that I have some proper outputs from VA.

There's still some funny stuff going on though! More to learn!

Thanks Trevor and Robbie.
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:29 pm

Would be useful to see everyone's setup. Ill get some pics of mine and post up when I can.
Martin