Help to find details of Rosette Router Jig

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mitch Lees
Beefwood

Help to find details of Rosette Router Jig

Post by Mitch Lees » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:49 pm

On 15 Aug 2018 Trevor posted some extra pics of his precision router jig. Somewhere on the the site are the original details of the jig (I think) but try as I might I cannot find them - am I mistaken or are they buried in another post? Has anyone made a drawing of the precision jig?
Thanks. Mitch

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Help to find details of Rosette Router Jig

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:38 pm

Well, there's the pics in the 15th Aug 2018 post and also some in a post on Apr 7th 2018 and I think that is all I've posted on the subject on this forum. Anything on other forums will be much the same. I've never made drawings of the jig, but you should be able to replicate the main features from the photos.

Mitch Lees
Beefwood

Post by Mitch Lees » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:37 pm

Trevor,

Thank you for the reply. I see the first block has a (the one with the inlay) has a pair of nuts - presumably these are captive, and does each nut have a Belleville washer? Are there 2 nuts in the middle block which also seems to be captive and do these have Belleville washers also? Is the threaded rod free running in the last block?

Best Wishes
Mitch

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:19 am

The "first block" (with the arrows drawn on in black felt tip) has a through hole for the shaft. The nuts are locked to the shaft, so the shaft is a tight rotating fit through that block. Both nuts in the larger central block are captive (and have Belville washers) so when the shaft is rotated this block moves up and down the shaft. The shaft itself only rotates, it doesn't translate. The last block is just a support for the rails.

Mitch Lees
Beefwood

Post by Mitch Lees » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:17 pm

Trevor,

Thank you - I will get busy and make one now. Finished a SS falcate braced instrument with a bolt on/bolt off neck recently as per your plans, and I am very happy with the sound. Just about to start on a falcate classical, and again I will use the bolt on/off neck. All my previous classicals have been made in a traditional way, so this should be an interesting project. I have some ideas for an interrupted rosette - hence the need for a more accurate router jig. Once again, thanks

MItch

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:20 pm

Allen McFarlane does interrupted rosettes in his ukes....
Mitch Lees wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:17 pm
I have some ideas for an interrupted rosette - hence the need for a more accurate router jig. Once again, thanks

MItch
Martin