Target thickness for lattice classical

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mqbernardo
Myrtle

Target thickness for lattice classical

Post by mqbernardo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:33 am

Hello, i haven't found info specific to this topic, but if there is one, i apologise.

I´ve used the Books to estimate target plate thickness on my latest builds using famed equation 4.5-7 (iirc). The vibrational stiffness parameter (f) I've used is the same Trevor gives in the book (60). They all have been traditional fan braced guitars and im yet to adjust the vibrational stiffness parameter, though i suspect i could go a little lower.
My question is if the parameter used for targeting a lattice classical top plate Trevor advocates is the same (60) for all classical guitars, as in the book there doesn't seem to be anything more specific. I admit to being lazy and not reading the book for some years now, and im yet to go through all the brace design stuff properly (i have an empirical, and possibly flawed, way of getting at brace heights). Maybe its´s there and i should check. But if anyone cares to help (or lecture), i´m all ears.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Miguel

mqbernardo
Myrtle

Re: Target thickness for lattice classical

Post by mqbernardo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:37 am

sorry, forgot to say its gonna be an all wood lattice (spruce and no CF). maybe its gonna get it closer to a traditional top thickness. this is all new to me.