Excel spreadsheet and summary page

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

davidafterwork
Sassafras

Excel spreadsheet and summary page

Post by davidafterwork » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:26 am

Hello guys
I had a post a few weeks ago re the TG method and I am now reading the relevant parts and have got a laptop/microphone and Strobosoft set up in the workshop
My question is
Does anyone have a link to the required Excel spreadsheet for tracking the info ?? ( I naively thought I just had to hit the target Hertz levels shown in the Build book but I see there is a lot more required...!!)
Does anyone have a link to the simple summary by TG of his method? I know I seen it somewhere but can't find it on Trevors website.
Thanks in advance
Dave

JurgenV
Myrtle

Re: Excel spreadsheet and summary page

Post by JurgenV » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:56 am

Hi Dave,
I saw that you didn´t get an answer. I can give just give you my opinion: Actually I´m quite new to the books of Trevor and Gerard but I never heard about a simple summary. The thing is that you have to work through the math. You don´t have to understand all derivations for the different fomula but even if you just try to put together some excel files with just the final formula you learn quite a lot. If it doesn´t work you can post your questions here and I´m sure someone will be able to help you.
A simple solution in the way that someone is handing out a complete excel sheet with everything included will not help you as at least some understanding is necessary to use them.
I just started to build my own set of excel sheets which at least seem to work. I still have a long way to go especially in using what I found in the book. If it helps you I can post here some screenshots that you know where to start and a set of values for you to check if your excel sheet is correct. But if you put some work into it you can find all these things in the forum (which is what I did when I had some problems) and in the books.

Jurgen

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Excel spreadsheet and summary page

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Coding up a spreadsheet is the best way to get familiar with what Trevor is trying to teach in his books. I managed to code up a spreadsheet to calculate target top thickness and Im no maths wizard. Give it a go and then if you hit major problems start asking questions and someone will give you a hand.
Martin