Diamond stones for sharpening

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Petecane
Blackwood

Diamond stones for sharpening

Post by Petecane » Sun May 05, 2019 9:20 am

Trevor
You recommend diamond stones and the use of a hohning guide.
I am ready to invest but there are diamond stones and diamond stones.
Which brand do I go for ( and the guide) please?
Many thanks.
Peter

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Diamond stones for sharpening

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun May 05, 2019 11:08 am

DMT brand diamond "stones". The ones shown in the book have been superseded. I think shorter ones are available but not the ones in the book. The page I linked to has the alternative Duosharp stones. I have the blue and the green grades. They start very aggressive, but settle quickly. I've had mine 15-20 years now and they still work fine.

For honing guides, I have a few, just to cover all the different types of blade. This Veritas "deluxe honing guide set" covers most of the bases, including the small, curved sole violin plane blades.

None of these are inexpensive, but neither are the decent alternatives and these last a long time, work well and the "stones" stay flat. Use low odour kero as the cutting lubricant and keep the rollers on the honing guides lubricated. If you use water as the lubricant (which is an alternative) things rust and the roller shaft wears.

Petecane
Blackwood

Re: Diamond stones for sharpening

Post by Petecane » Sun May 05, 2019 1:20 pm

Thank you for your prompt response.
I will investigate your recommendations.
I have another question but will post it on another theme to keep things in context.