Silicon heat mat

Instrument plans that are available on the internet free of charge. Please add any that you find here.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Colpatten
Gidgee

Silicon heat mat

Post by Colpatten » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:59 am

A few years ago I thought it would be a good idea to purchase a silicon heat mat to bend sides I bought One on eBay. When it arrived I found that I had ordered the wrong voltage 110v instead of 230v.
My question is. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get it to work on 230volts.
Thanks in advance.
Colin

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Silicon heat mat

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:39 pm

I used to use a 110volt silicon heat blanket for bending before I went back to using an iron. I bought myself a whopping great 240/110volt step down transformer. You need to ensure that the output power rating of the transformer is equal to or slightly higher than that of the blanket. From memory my transformer was a 2400watt unit and my blanket is rated at 1200 watts.

This is the company that supplied my transformer: https://www.tortech.com.au/

Im pretty sure this is the unit I purchased: https://www.tortech.com.au/product/volt ... ansformer/
Martin

Colpatten
Gidgee

Post by Colpatten » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:12 am

Thanks for that.
I have used a stainless steel tube with a flood light bulb inside for ten years now. Interesting to hear that you went back to the iron. I might just stick to my tube.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:22 pm

Colpatten wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:12 am
Thanks for that.
I have used a stainless steel tube with a flood light bulb inside for ten years now. Interesting to hear that you went back to the iron. I might just stick to my tube.
Why back to the iron? Lots of reasons. The main reasons...my output isn't huge and I have the time to bend on an iron. I also feel more comfortable working on an iron with my hands on the wood and being able to feel and hear what the wood is doing.
Martin