RIP Jeff Beck

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

RIP Jeff Beck

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:42 am

Jeff Beck...one of my all time favourite guitarists. I remember first hearing "Wired" as a teenager and being totally blown away.

RIP Jeff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... dies-at-78
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Re: RIP Jeff Beck

Post by Dave M » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:19 am

Yes. And he managed to keep his skills into old age. His performance of, was it, settled, can’t remember at Ronnie Sots club was superb.

Jo Bonamassa described his Ain’t Supersticious with Rod Stewart as full of swagger, which it was for a pretty young guitarist. And the effects pedals were probably pretty primitive at the time.

I liked that he continued to try new forms of music. As someone said he didn’t subside into a coffee table blues player!

I could find his tone a bit harsh but that doesn’t detract from his skills as a player. And he must have been the most skilful user of the whammy bar, as the Americans call it, ever. Must have had great pitch sense.

Also surprisingly he could turn himself from a soloist into a great accompanist to singers.

Ah well they are all dying off. There soon won’t be any decent guitarists left. Good job we’ve got not just recordings but YouTube

Cheers Dave
------------------
Dave

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:10 am

Although I don't particularly rate this presenter he does tell us some things about Becks technique. For instance I didn't realise he was using the volume control to change the sound along with string stretching and the tremolo bar. Also the fact that he is playing at Ronnie Scots, a pure jazz venue in London tells us something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw6ZRstMI-Q

However what really caught my eye was that the electric guitar he is playing has a Trevor Gore straight string pull head stock! Complete replica. Who is doing that?
Dave
------------------
Dave

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:45 am

Hey someone must know about that headstock. Tell me about it.
------------------
Dave

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:42 am

It is a pretty standard headstock shape of Paul Reed Smith (PRS) guitars.