Digression into amp building again

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

joel
Blackwood

Digression into amp building again

Post by joel » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:32 pm

So, I cracked my EIR side whilst bending a cutaway... So while I think about a method to fix/work around my stuff-up I diverted briefly into my other hobby, building tube amps.

Behold the Woke Heretic!
It's a 100% recycled junk box build. AX84 Clean Preamp mated to a MOSFET Cathodyne mated to a 6V6 cathode biased power amp (5E3 style). All the parts were recycled from previous builds or other salvage.
close-up 1.jpg
Last weekend I went to a repair shop shut down sale (just around the corner from Brisbane Guitar Making School!), and I scored a Fender 10" Alnico Blue speaker brand new in box for about $5! (along with some other choice bargains). The speaker I orginally used is a 10" Tone Tubby San Raphael hemp coned speaker. It's too dark for me. At the sale I also got a Fender V1030. Pic of speaker shootout attached.
10 inch speaker shoot out (small).jpg
The 10" Alnico is awesome! The V1030 was an improvement, but that Alnico! So sweet! I now understand the love for Alnico speakers.
Fender 10 Alnico Blue.jpg
Next amp I'm working on is a Dumble clone using 6V6's. I need to build a cab for this one so it'll be a slower build. Can't decide whether to go with a 1x12 combo cab, or just a head cab to go with an existing 2x12 and share the cab with my JTM45 clone (can only play one amp at a time...)
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Spring
Wandoo

Re: Digression into amp building again

Post by Spring » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:36 am

In awe and Jealous...... Fantastic, and anything close to a Dumble starts the drool response...
Cheers
Dale

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:12 pm

Likewise - I couldn't wire up a lightbulb and I am very impressed by this caper. I am in the market for a small amp and I would love to acquire these building skills one day.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:24 am

Nice work Joel.....before I got into guitar making I was into making amps and boxes.
Martin

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:16 pm

I'm in awe, the jargon flows far too easily of your tongue for you to be anything but a professional! Great stuff :cl

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:14 pm

Thanks everyone.

Sneak peak of the Dumble style ODS (Overdrive Supreme). This shot is test fit of the faceplates, pots, switches, etc. Making sure the eyelet board and relay board fit correctly. I'm a bit of a DIY tragic, everything is sourced or made from scratch. I bent up the chassis from some scrap aluminium at work. Designed the face- and back-panels. Eyelet board is scratch built as is the relay pcb, which I etched this weekend and soldered on the components.
ODS build.jpg
As I wait for my bending iron to arrive to salvage what I can from my cracked EIR sides, I'll divide my attention between this and my planned "if-you-can't-hide-the-repair-make-a-feature" cutaway repair/patch scheme.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -