Forum section for business

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Forum section for business

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:32 pm

Is there enough interest in a closed off (from the public and therefor from googlebot) section of the forum for "business" or such?
There's often topics i want to discuss on this forum that are more suited to a closed subforum/room, in particular around the business of luthiery.
Thoughts?

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Forum section for business

Post by Allen » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:02 am

There is a very good private group on FaceBook that only allows full time luthiers and a few in the allied support businesses. Members from all around the world and several that are members here. May be a better option for you and any others that would qualify.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 am

I think it would be a good idea.

I have left most fb luthier groups as too many participants and under unmoderated threads, means you have to sift through off topic comments.
Trent

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:31 pm

I guess the question from me, a non luthier would be do you and the the other luthiers keep input into both the pro-forum and amateur-forum. I can't speak for others but I don't expect to get anything for free and if my questions to the forum lead me to get the outcome I desired I make effort to get payment to them somehow. Only built 4 guitars of my own and got a couple on the go, but commissioned 10 builds from Australian luthiers. Is that not how these forums are supposed to work? My skills as a businessman/engineer/business owner would be missed from the suggested pro-forum.
I personally enjoy the input from the professional community and in MHO the road being proposed is a slippery slide to exclusivity. The strength of this forum is its diversity. I know as an amateur I am challenged by the professionals to improve my builds, I will never be a professional but do try my best.

Please take this in the spirit its intended as another point of view.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:52 pm

The reason that there is a Pro only forum I mentioned on Facebook, (and you have to be invited and vetted), is that when you allow amateurs / hobbiests in, the conversation and topics very often strays into the absurd. I imagine this is what Trent's comments are about.

Also there are topics as pro's we want to ask advice on such as repairs, or procedures, suppliers and even clients. If it was open to the public then many would be extremely reluctant to seek such advice.

If anyone that is a pro here and would like an intro to the FB group you can pm me and I'll pass along your request.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:05 pm

I didn't think of it was a pro/amateur suggestion but rather a member/non member thing. Making a sub-board that isn't public so therefore not showing in google searches has some attraction.

I would image if you're a member you would still have access regardless of how you view yourself pro/am-wise.
Trent

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:07 pm

I haven't thought hard on this one. I would prefer that ANZLF remains as an open forum accessible to everyone. If anyone has information they'd prefer only certain individuals are privy too then sending a PM is an option....or if that doesn't suit then there's the Facebook Group suggested by Allen.

Note that any closed subforum for professionals only...will be viewable by Jeremy and myself...who are not professional builders :mrgreen:
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:11 pm

Allen wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:52 pm

Also there are topics as pro's we want to ask advice on such as repairs, or procedures, suppliers and even clients. If it was open to the public then many would be extremely reluctant to seek such advice.
All understood but if opinions on clients and suppliers start being aired on this forum even in a private sub forum then from a legal point of view we could be leaving ourselves open to trouble.

As I noted in earlier comment I haven't thought hard about this one and I haven't raised the matter with Jeremy.
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:00 pm

lamanoditrento wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 am
I have left most fb luthier groups as too many participants and under unmoderated threads, means you have to sift through off topic comments.
Yep, i find nearly all the luthier Facebook groups are just full of cr@p, bad information, and people selling ebony over and over and over again.
Allen wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:52 pm
If anyone that is a pro here and would like an intro to the FB group you can pm me and I'll pass along your request.
Yes please Allen, (although, think i may already be in the one you are talking about), you can find me on facebook as my full name.

To further clarify, i certainly wasn't meaning as a pro vs amateur thing, in fact what i was proposing would include everyone who was a registered user on this forum.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 am

I searched your name Steve and you don't appear to be a member of that group. I've forwarded your name.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:30 am

"To further clarify, i certainly wasn't meaning as a pro vs amateur thing, in fact what i was proposing would include everyone who was a registered user on this forum."

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding
Cheers
Andrew

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:49 pm

As noted Ill give it some more serious thought and discuss with Jeremy. Unfortunately right now I'm at the end of a house build and am trying to get back up and running with my building. Everyone too polite to ask why they havent seen any builds from me for the last 18 months :?
Martin