We're home

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

We're home

Post by Lillian » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:52 am

And we are married. Neither one of us got cold feet, not that it was expected, but you know, it could have happened. The ceremony itself was short but wonderful. We both shed a tear or three. We basked in the moment for well, just a moment and then got back in the car and drove home again.

The trip was manic, the hotel wonderful and I almost strangled a friend. One out of three isn't bad is it?

We are just so jazzed, or still buzzed from the lack of sleep I'm not really sure which. I can't say I really feel different, but then again, we've been together for five and a half years now. We've been married, without paperwork, for a long time already. So I guess it should feel different.

Thank you from both of us for all the well wishes.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:29 am

Excellent Lillian, congratulations to you both and I am very happy to hear that all went well. :D

Cheers

Kim

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:06 am

Congratulations, Lillian!
Very best wishes for a long, happy, and healthy life together!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:23 am

Wow - I had no idea that you were getting hitched Lillian my friend!

So a great big congrats to you and Sweetie! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:21 am

Good on ya Lillian!! Hope we all get to meet you and yours one day.

Cheers Martin :cl

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:22 am

Hesh1956 wrote:Wow - I had no idea that you were getting hitched Lillian my friend!
'

A good move in my opinion...imagine all of us crashing the wedding ceremony? I mean imagine Lillian having to explain to her husband who the guy in the pink cowboy outfit with the pink and purple vacumn cleaner is.

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Congratulations, Lillian!!!!! That's great.

Ron

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:48 pm

Thank you all.

Fran knows each and every one of you, so she wouldn't have been surprised to see Hesh in that lovely outfit of his. Now, the vacuum might have been over the top, but..... still it would have been great to have everyone there.

I am sure by now you might have surmised that we are not your typical couple. She was an English teacher and I'm an engineer. I get papers proofed and word corrected and she has a geek at her beck and call. It's an odd pairing I will admit to it, but you know it works.

We went to California to get married because they would allow us to. We understand quite fully that all our rights vanished as soon as we passed into Oregon, but it doesn't diminish the fact that we do have a marriage license.

If this has made anyone uncomfortable or felt that I have deceived them, please let me say that I am sorry, that was not my intention. We are happy and I know that I am truly blessed and a better person because Fran is in my life. I just wanted to share some of the happiness.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:58 pm

No deception Lillian, love is love and your life partner is exactly that, YOUR life partner. No one but you has a right to decide or even a right to an opinion as to whether or not that partner should be ball bearing or child bearing :D Besides, I think most of us blokes would bat for the other side as well if we were girls like you and Hesh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Kim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:12 pm

:lmao :bh Thank you Kim. Thank you.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:38 pm

Oh Lillian, I had NO IDEA! This marriage cannot work. It is doomed! An English teacher and an engineer?! bwa hahahahhahahhaha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When two people find each other, fall in love, and declare their love for each other, the world becomes a much better place. Thank you and Fran for sharing the declaration of your love with us!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Dennis you aren't the first person to warn us that this was wrong and well, unnatural. A word person and a number person should not be allowed to cohabitate. It's, it's it's just wrong. But I must admit, I'm communicating better and you don't have to be another engineer to understand me now. That should be reason alone to applaud this union.

Thank you for you kind words.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:06 pm

No deception here either, the penny dropped for me a couple/six months ago.

Wishing you both every happiness.

Paul

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:01 pm

I've got nothing but the greatest respect for anyone that decides to spend the rest of their life sharing the joys and hardships with someone that they love. Congratulations to the both of you.

Now get that house sold and move closer to work. We need you to be able to devote more time to doing the things you enjoy and hopefully spending some time with us here.

Cheers to Lillian and Fran :gui
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

vinman
Beefwood

Post by vinman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:30 pm

Don't you know how dangerous it is when you mix two of the same? I mean engineer and english teacher, they both start with the letter E. Congratulations Lillian and Fran. Here's to wishing you both a life of happiness together. :gui

Vinman

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Lillian youre a classic!!

And dont worry about making any of us feel uncomfortable........this the Australia and New Zealand Luthier Forum not the "Straight and Normal and No Surprises Forum".

Cheers Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:18 pm

kiwigeo wrote:I mean imagine Lillian having to explain to her husband who the guy in the pink cowboy outfit with the pink and purple vacumn cleaner is.
So Ive got a red face at the moment. I do usually use the word "partner" in preference to the word "husband"......

But I have an excuse..Im building a 12 string so Im under twice as much tension as someone building a 6 string.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:50 pm

You know my friends (Kim too...... :D ) this is a REAL honor for us here at the ANZLF because our friend Lillian has trusted us enough to share this wonderful happening with us. This says to me that Lillian thinks enough of us and our humanity to feel safe and sound with us. I know that I for one feel very honored and I am grinning like an idiot even now.

Lillian your trust and faith in your on-line pals here is not misplaced and I thank you kindly for sharing with us.

I am sure that you and Fran will be VERY happy together! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:25 am

Alright, y'all gone and done it now. You've made the misses all misty eyed. Thank you for you support and kindness.

Allen, no worries on that front. We have a 8'x8'x16' trailer parked in the driveway. We are boxing all the nonessentials and putting them in the trailer so that we can have room to empty out a room, let me do what needs doing and then put it back together so it presents well. But the house has gotten wind of a possible change in management, so the last two weekends have been dealing with things that have died or broken. But hey the new dishwasher looks great and it goes well with the new sink and faucet. We figure that we will be moving in the first or second winter storm of the season. That's what we've done since we got together. Want snow? Help us move and you'll have plenty.

Vince, we've kind of fixed that E squared thing. She doesn't teach up here. She sells books. She's a paper pusher and darn good at it. It supports her habit and brings home a decent enough paycheck, so it works. The bad part is that we were running out of wall space here for bookshelves. The next house has to be bigger, it can't be smaller.

Martin, you said nothing to be ashamed of. Actually it was you comment that caused me to pause and decide clear things up. As Hesh put it, I do trust you all and I didn't want to keep up a facade. It gets to be more than tiresome and cheats us both. So, no don't be embarrassed. I'm glad you said what you did. Besides, she's been called worse, like substitute teacher. And you might just get to meet us one day. If McCain/Palin get into office we may have to leave the country. He is very active in three states trying to reverse the decision to give us rights. And he has promised a constitutional amendment to prevent us from ever getting them back again. There are also talk of returning laws to the books at the state and federal level. One of our gubernatorial candidates has promised if elected that he will reverse the states domestic partnership laws and polices. So, yeah we may have to look for a new home if we wake up in January and find that it's the 1950's again. Sorry for the soapbox. I'll step down now.

Gentlemen, you have been wonderful, but its time to play in the shop. I need new things to read about, since all my tools are boxed up, I'm living vicariously at the moment.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:57 am

Hi Lillian,

Good on you and many congrats, maybe Kate and i will do the deed one day......
make mine fifths........

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:21 am

Congratulations Lillian and Fran!

How can a legal union be wrong when two people are already joined at heart?

There's just something terrific about two people standing up in front of family and friends and declaring their love and commitment to each other.

Of course then comes the continual seemingly casual comments by both sets of parents about when they can expect to see the grandchildren :roll:. Sorry, I was just having flash-backs :)
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:42 am

Ive found that not having children has allowed me to accumulate an enviable collection of tonewood and power tools.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Hesh, you are absolutely right, it is because I know you all and trust you that I felt I could be honest. That speaks volumes.

Thank you Sebastian. When it is right you'll know it. If you have to ask if it's right, then well, maybe it isn't.

Joel, the legal aspect was the tricky part. There had to be a few court cases and appeals and, etc. We did a ceremony last year after Washington passed their version of domestic partnership. The kids were there. We each had a boy, Ryan is 18 and Ty is 25. We're asking the eldest about the ETA of the grandkids. We're looking forward to spoiling them rotten and sending them back home. Okay, maybe not rotten, but close.

Martin, ah, well I have a confession to make. I encouraged our youngest to leave the nest so that I could turn his room in to my shop. :oops: He took it well I think. At least I waited until he signed a lease in Denver, no wait, he signed a lease because I took over his room. Its all good now I think. He is talking about coming home after we moved. Asked if his room was going to smell of cedar. I said not to worry, sitka doesn't have much of a scent.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:15 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Ive found that not having children has allowed me to accumulate an enviable collection of tonewood and power tools.
:lmao

Me too...well, not quite as enviable as yours Martin, but one day mate...one day. :D
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi Lillian

I've just got home and I missed all of this, so belated congratulations to you both.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars