Good Hotels in Sydney

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Good Hotels in Sydney

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:33 pm

Okay the boss and myself are heading over to Sydney for a few days.

Any reccomendations for a good hotel in the central city area. I stayed at the Novatel Darling Harbour last time and it was cr*p so that ones off the list.

Price wise Im willing to pay up to $300 a night.

Cheers Martin

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Re: Good Hotels in Sydney

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:20 am

kiwigeo wrote:Okay the boss and myself are heading over to Sydney for a few days.

Any reccomendations for a good hotel in the central city area. I stayed at the Novatel Darling Harbour last time and it was cr*p so that ones off the list.

Price wise Im willing to pay up to $300 a night.

Cheers Martin
Well residents aren't usually the best to ask as we don't need them (usually). Seriously Ive heard very good things about the Observatory at the Rocks
make mine fifths........

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:36 am

The Grace Hotel on Clarence/York streets looks OK, My bosses stay there while they're in Sydney.

Or the Hilton on George st. I've only been to functions at the Hilton, they've just renovated and it's a pretty bloody nice place. Dunno what either of those places charges for a room tho.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:59 am

Okay Ive booked 4 nights at The Observatory Hotel.

Sebastiaan, if its no good then Ill be staying at your place. I dont eat porridge and I like my coffee white with no sugar. :mrgreen:

A few more questions:

1. any good music shops in the central CBD. I recall a good guitar shop somewhere up Kings Cross way.

2. what are some good restaurants in central city/ Rocks area.

3. any other things worth seeing places worth going. Places I plan to go include maritime museum at darling habour, the museum of technology (Ultimo?), manly etc. Bondi is off the list...too many bldi Kiwis.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:50 am

There's Allan's music on Pitt St, or Venue music that are just off Clarence st down near the Town Hall end (they just moved and I don't know the new addy). They used to have a little pre war (WWI) all mahogany size 0 Martin on display.

For a feed and some good music check out The Basement, down at Reiby place, Circular Quay. That's the place that Matt's daughter played in the other night. The get some really good international acts there in a jazz club kind of atmosphere. Good food and usually good to great music. Book ahead tho.

A trip down to Watsons Bay on the ferry for a seafood feed at Doyle's is usually a great afternoon.

The Powerhouse museum at Ultimo is great.

For a feed down at the rocks, there's heaps of good places. I'm usually to pissed by the time I get there to remember the names. There's a great little Italian place towards to harbor bridge off the main drag. Should be a short walk from your hotel.

Also walk up the hill and check out the observatory, they sometimes have open days (nights).

And lastly the bridge climb would be good fun if you're not afraid of heights.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:07 am

Thanks Paul,

Cheers Martin

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:11 pm

Are you looking for a hotel with a sheep skin comforter? :D

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:32 pm

Hesh1956 wrote:Are you looking for a hotel with a sheep skin comforter? :D
No Hesh, Martin is looking for a hotel with a Baaaaahhhh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:49 pm

If its a decent hotel Ill be able to call up room service and get a sheep sent up.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:52 pm

kiwigeo wrote:If its a decent hotel Ill be able to call up room service and get a sheep sent up.
No doubt they will be flocking to your door :D

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:05 am

kiwigeo wrote:Sebastiaan, if its no good then Ill be staying at your place. I dont eat porridge and I like my coffee white with no sugar. :mrgreen:
Mate Ive been off line this weekend except for ten mins at a Maccas (gotta love the iPhone!).

No visit to sydney is complete without at least a day trip to the Blue Mountains, When are you in town? Yes! an offer to show you the most beautiful places in Aus!

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Good Hotels in Sydney

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:04 pm

Hey Sebastiaan.....you were right on the money mate. I stayed at the Observatory and loved the place. Not cheap but room rate was nearly same as the Holiday Inn in Perth last time I stayed there and miles better. Room was quiet and service was great. Had a 7 course degustation with matching wines one evening which was great.

Highlight of the visit was talking to a guy by the name of Peter Dickson in Pitt Street mall. He was playing a funky looking steel string/classical twin neck which he told me he built in his apartment while living in Tokyo. See here for construction details:

http://www.peterdickson.com/DoubleNeckGuitar.html

Thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers Martin
sebastiaan56 wrote: Well residents aren't usually the best to ask as we don't need them (usually). Seriously Ive heard very good things about the Observatory at the Rocks

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:08 am

Glad to hear it!

That is some guitar and build, Sydney streets turn up some amazing people,
make mine fifths........