AAAA Cocobolo

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

AAAA Cocobolo

Post by Jeremy D » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:57 am

This was just posted on instagram by Lowden. Its a beautiful back, but is it really AAAA?

Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: AAAA Cocobolo

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 pm

I tend to use LMI's grading system as my guide but different suppliers will vary in their criteria....and for some criteria the decision can come down to individual taste/bias. Most of the suppliers Ive used tend to undergrade their wood....Graham Hein is a good example with his Englemann spruce, ditto for High Mountain with their Lutz.
Martin

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Wouldn't think so, and Martin is spot on about those suppliers "undergrading".

Steve

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:51 am

Grading systems are a load of BS. You see some sellers advertising stuff with stupid titles like museum grade or master grade and when it arrives its no better than standard A grade from someone else. Or you buy AAA grade from one place and it arrives same figure as B grade from a better supplier with defects and inconsistencies.

I tend to ignore whatever label they put on, it's either figured or it's not, it's either low figure or high figure. It's either consist and or it's not and it either has defects or it doesn't. After that it's all marketing hype as far as I'm concerned and you have to look straight through it.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:25 pm

I don't think any back that is running off the quarter on the outer edges could be called AAAA.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars