This guy shouldnt own a Stradivarius

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

This guy shouldnt own a Stradivarius

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 07, 2008 4:26 pm

I mean how the heck do you walk off leaving a Strad in the back of a taxi???

"A Grammy-nominated violinist who left his $US4 million ($NZ5 million), 285-year-old Stradivarius violin in a taxi is giving a free concert at an airport taxi stand for the driver who returned it.
Philippe Quint, 34, left his 1723 Ex-Keisewetter violin in Mohammed Khalil's taxi when returning from Newark Liberty Airport last week, and Khalil later returned it to Quint, the musician's publicist said.
Quint was to repay Khalil and his fellow taxi drivers with a 30-minute recital on Tuesday at the taxi holding area at Newark Liberty, one of three airports serving the New York City metropolitan area.
After his airport concert, Quint will next perform on the Stradivarius in New York at Carnegie Hall's Weill Recital Hall on September 23. He is providing tickets for that concert to Khalil and his family, the publicist said."

Tom Morici
Blackwood

Post by Tom Morici » Wed May 07, 2008 5:57 pm

A blunder like that and as a reward he gives tickets to one of his concerts.
What a guy!!!
Our news reported it was on loan to him. This makes leaving it in a taxi
worst.
So how many think someone would never leave a $5000 guitar in a trunk
on a hot day.

Tom

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Wed May 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Still, it's nice to know there are still good, decent people out there who will try to return lost item to their owners.

Of course, the market for Strads is rather small. I don't think you could flog something like this on ebay.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Richard
Myrtle

Post by Richard » Wed May 07, 2008 6:18 pm

What a lucky guy. I was just reading a few days ago that Melbourne bluesman C.W. Stoneking left his guitar and banjo in a New York taxi recently and wasn't so lucky. The instruments would be lucky to be worth a few grand, let alone a few million.

That said, I guess a Stradivarius would probably be a bit more difficult to cash in at the local pawn shop than a battered Dobro and banjo.

I had a taxi driver once in Texas who got a bit lost getting us to our hotel. He ended up tracking us down late that night at a different hotel (we ended up not staying at our booked hotel) to give us all of about $5 or 10 that he felt he'd overcharged us for the once or twice he'd had to stop to look at a map.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:29 am

He should rename his violin herpes since he can't seem to get rid of it....

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Fri May 09, 2008 5:32 am

Even worse the violin was owned by a wealthy family loaned to him which happens a lot, I guess.

Wonder how they felt about hearing this? :shock: