Howdy, M8s!

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Urban Sludgewater
Wandoo

Howdy, M8s!

Post by Urban Sludgewater » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:31 am

Eben Atwater, aka Urban Sludgewater here, offering greatings from Texas, across the Big Pond. My good friend Kim invited me herein, so how could I say no?

FYI on me; I've been building for about 8 years, my output so far in electrics and acoustics stands somewhere in the early 20s - I don't serialize my axes, and the older I get the more I forget, so...

For real work, I am a professional musician, I guess; I lead a Folk group at an every-Sunday folk church service at Trinity Epsicopal here in Fort Worth. I also gig whenever I can with a group of local ne'er do wells who favor classic rock, folks, and blues. I also take care of the church; what we used to call a Sexton, but you can'tnow, 'cause email doesn't like 'sex' in you name...

:lol:

I also do a little writing, and try very hard to keep the lovely Mrs. Atwater happy, a task with which I am most defintely blessed!

:twisted:

Anyway, I do a fair amount of repairs and mods. Oh, and I'm the day-to-day Administrator of the Luthierforum, too!

I also deal B-Band, and I have no idea if that does you guys any good down there, but if it does, and for that matter if I can be of help in any way, just ask!

Thank you for inviting me, I'm honored to be here!

Urban
It don't mean a thang, if it ain't got that swang...

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:12 am

Hi Urban, welcome to the ANZLF mate, i think you'll love it here, the folks are awesome, you'll also get to meet our good friend Ron from Arkansas!

Good to have ya here! :D

Serge
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Urban Sludgewater
Wandoo

Post by Urban Sludgewater » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:17 am

Thank you Sir! Lookin' forward to it.

And I love your quote - I use 'Faith, Family, and Friends; everything else falls somewhere after...'

:D

Urb

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:36 am

Thanks friend,

I came to faith young but dedicated my life to the Lord almost 2 years ago when i got rebaptized as a conscious adult, the Lord is good all the time and all the time, He is Goood! :D

Blessings in Him mate!

Serge
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Urban Sludgewater
Wandoo

Post by Urban Sludgewater » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:07 am

Amen, my Brother, Amen!

Urb

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:34 am

Thanks for dropping my name, Serge. I haven't been posting much lately, but I lurk about every day.

Welcome, Urban! You're not as far south of the Mason/Dixon as the guys from Oz, but It's nice to have you join us.

Ron

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:41 am

Welcome to the ANZLF Urban - I am yet another American slumming it with these upside down folks....... :D

I have had a few exchanges with Mario on Luthierforum and I liked him at once for his wit and sense of humor. I think the same holds true for you too.

Glad to have you here.

Urban Sludgewater
Wandoo

Post by Urban Sludgewater » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:44 am

Hey, right on, Hesh and good on ya, Ron!

Now, I am indeed pretty close to Arkansas, and I still need to wet a fly line in that White River of yours, Ron - 'Record Brown Trout' is all I need to hear to know that! And Ann Arbor, huh? Still cold up there or did you get thawed yet?

Yeah, we kinda built the luthierforum to be a counterpoint to the overtly rigid, wherever that is - And Mario is a trip, indeed, I love him like a brother, and not just because he sends me wonderful wood!

:wink:

Urb

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:01 am

Hey Eben, :D

I am very happy you took up the invite and decided pay us a visit. Most of the natives are currently asleep or just wiping the sleep from their eyes so you could be forgiven for getting the impression that the ANZLF is only populated by northerners.

Anyhow great to see you here my friend, please don't be a stranger, pull up a chair and feel free to join in when ever you feel like it.

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:54 am

G'day Eben

Welcome to the forum and nice to see you drop in and hopefully we'll see more of you here.

Cheers

Bob

Urban Sludgewater
Wandoo

Post by Urban Sludgewater » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:12 am

Thanks much, Bob - And count on it, M8!

Urb

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:17 am

G'day and welcome down under Eban. Pleased to have you with us !

Cheers , Craig

Tom Morici
Blackwood

Post by Tom Morici » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:52 pm

Eben,

Welcome to the forum. We can always use another yank.

Tom

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:46 pm

Morning Eben and welcome.

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi Eben, welcome! As you can see, many of the same names populate these forums no matter where they are located...
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Urban Sludgewater
Wandoo

Post by Urban Sludgewater » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:02 am

Arnt! I was telling Hesh, over on our other forum, that you can never have too many!

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcomes - Glad to be among ya!

Urb

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:03 am

Hi Eben!

Yes, there's another group of luthiers on the planet that puts up with my obtuse humor and ramblings. They are likely to accept you as well.

We get to trash the place while the folks in the Southern Hemisphere are asleep, and they wake to realize they need to counteract our influence. Well, mine anyhow.

But seriously, we're building new bridges and solidifying old ones.

Welcome to yet another cool luthier forum!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

MetcalfGuitars
Gidgee

Post by MetcalfGuitars » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:06 am

Hello all.....from another Yank!

My name is Tim Metcalf from East Tennessee, USA. Nice group here! Hope you don't mind if I browse around and see how guitars are made on the other side :) .....and I hope you guys and gals can teach us Yanks a thing or two about making guitars....who knows, maybe we'll even have something to share as well.

All the best!
Tim

MetcalfGuitars.com

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:41 am

Welcome, Tim. There is a lot to learn from these upside down guys, some of it is about guitars. You can actually get a well rounded education here, so, jump in and hang on!!
:cl :cl :serg :cl :cl

Ron

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:38 am

Welcome Tim!!!!

Folks two things that I want to mention here. First Tim is a very talented guy and he has designed and built a binding channel jig that is much like the Luthier tool version but he is offering them for less than half the price.

Hopefully Tim will post some pics and give us the details and he is willing to ship to OZ at a very attractive rate.

Second - I joined the Luthierforum as my pal Urban recommended and last night I participated in my first auction there. They have VERY fun auctions every Friday and Saturday evening. And as you would have guesses I secured two master grade "wonderwood" (Lutz) tops at prices that are around half of what I would have paid in the past. I am thrilled and I would highly recommend joining Urban, Dennis, Kim, and I on this wonderful site - luthierforum.com.

It's low key, everyone is very friendly, and the forum is based on the concept that everyone deserves to be respected at all times...... Kind of like us here at the ANZLF.

Thanks again Urban for turning me on to the Luthierforum and a very special thanks to our friend Dennis for walking me through the bidding process last night.

Tonight, in 1/2 an hour or so, they will be auctioning off some BRW!!!!!!!!

Lastly it would not surprise me if Mario, the site owner, would be willing to batch ANZLF orders to reduce shipping costs and you guys can distribute appropriate among yourselves once it has arrived.

WaddyT
Blackwood

And, Yet, Another Yank in the Tank!

Post by WaddyT » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:06 am

Hi, everyone. I'm Waddy. I have been hanging out on OLF and LF, and know some of the guys here, but didn't really know about this forum until I read a post by Urban Sludgewater, noting that Hesh was involved here. I figured someone had to be up to "no-good", so thought I'd drop in and see what it's all about. I already know some of you, and you me, so just let me know when you're tired of me, and boot me off. Give me at least a week or so to look around though. :D

I'm a headhunter by trade, and a guitar builder by frustration! I just completed my first Classical, built on the 1973 Romanillos, plantilla. It has been an interesting experience. It is something I have been interested in doing for the last 25 years, since I started playing classical, and I finally pulled the trigger last spring. I started #'s 2 & 3 this weekend. Same design, different woods. The first was Zebrawood and German, these two will be EIR and German, and Bubinga and Lutz.

Here's hopin you let me hang out for a while.
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:23 am

Welcome, Waddy!! Nice to see you here. The neighborhood is still small enough here for some closeness and friendly banter.

Ron

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:08 am

Thanks, Ron, I'll try to be nice!
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:29 am

G'day Waddy and welcome to the forum.

Bob

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:35 am

Waddy! Tim! Run while you can! They invited us Americanos here as shark bait! :lol:

Dennis
p.s. Welcome!
Another damn Yank!