hallo allemaal ( newby from the netherlands )

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

fransoos
Gidgee

hallo allemaal ( newby from the netherlands )

Post by fransoos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:52 am

Newby on this forum,

I am from the netherlands and have build 4 acoustics and 3 electrics so far.
The 5e and 6e are just started; a cutaway GA with indian rosewood B+S and lutz spruce
and cedar top.

I am going to visit my daughter in Sydney ( married with a Sydneyboy ;-) ) from end may
to half juni and would like to met some acoustic builders in the Sydney/Brisbane area.
Also want to take some of your beautiful australian tonewood when I go back home but
don't know where to obtain this wood. Any info is welcome.

Thanks for reading,

Frans

Next time I will post some pic's of the building progress.
Don't worry be happy.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: hallo allemaal ( newby from the netherlands )

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:14 am

G'day Frans and welcome to the ANZLF, I can't help you in Sydney other than sending you to Gerard Gilet of Gilet Guitars to buy a bit of wood. Enjoy your trip.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:32 pm

G'day and welcome Frans,
If your after aussie tonewoods have a look at Tim Spittle's sale here next weekend. He usually has a very nice selection of woods on offer. Another option if you want a completely "Aussie" guitar is a tonewood pack from Thomas Lloyd Guitarshttp://thomaslloydguitars.com.au/ in Melbourne, Chris and Fiona supply timber packs that have everything you need for a guitar except tuners. If you didn't want to pay for international shipping I'm sure both Tim and Chris could ship to your daughter ready for you to pickup when you visit.
Cheers
Matt

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:08 pm

NO! That's enough! YOu all got your own tonewood to use.....We are a small country with just enough for the members here!

No, seriously, welcome. I'm not in Sydney, but live in Brunswick Heads, close to the Queensland border. I've got a few bits, but nothing too special. If you're driving between Sydney and Brisbane, would love to have you drop in the shop for lunch/dinner, well if you like Italian.... :wink:

Or coffee at my place in the morning......
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

fransoos
Gidgee

Post by fransoos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:14 pm

nnickusa wrote:NO! That's enough! YOu all got your own tonewood to use.....We are a small country with just enough for the members here!

No, seriously, welcome. I'm not in Sydney, but live in Brunswick Heads, close to the Queensland border. I've got a few bits, but nothing too special. If you're driving between Sydney and Brisbane, would love to have you drop in the shop for lunch/dinner, well if you like Italian.... :wink:

Or coffee at my place in the morning......
Thanks Nick, I gladly accept your invitation to have a nice chat about building and tonewoods :gui
and further more I am willing to bring in some Lutz spruce, Cedar or Port Orford for a swap if
you are interested and to balance the amount of wood in your small country.
Don't worry be happy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 pm

fransoos wrote:
...and further more I am willing to bring in some Lutz spruce, Cedar or Port Orford for a swap if
How much Lutz can you bring in? :mrgreen:
Martin

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Don't even talk to Martin.... :roll:

HE is the reason that the rest of us are short our requirements.

Frans, if you get up my way, I have a few bits of nice Tassie blackwood, mostly suited to smaller guitars, and if you're interested, I'd be happy to show them to you, and have a coldie in my place..

Easy. Just let us know if you're coming thru, and we'll make a meet.....Show you my rather crude set-up.......It would be my pleasure...

Cheers,
Nick

fransoos
Gidgee

Post by fransoos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:33 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
fransoos wrote:
...and further more I am willing to bring in some Lutz spruce, Cedar or Port Orford for a swap if
How much Lutz can you bring in? :mrgreen:
How much do you need :mrgreen:
Don't worry be happy.

fransoos
Gidgee

Post by fransoos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:36 pm

nnickusa wrote:Don't even talk to Martin.... :roll:

HE is the reason that the rest of us are short our requirements.

Frans, if you get up my way, I have a few bits of nice Tassie blackwood, mostly suited to smaller guitars, and if you're interested, I'd be happy to show them to you, and have a coldie in my place..

Easy. Just let us know if you're coming thru, and we'll make a meet.....Show you my rather crude set-up.......It would be my pleasure...
Seriously, if your are interested in a swap, I bring some wood with me if customs allowed me :D .
Don't worry be happy.

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:44 am

Sure, you ought to make it thru customs OK. We've got the nothing to declare option here now, and spruce isn't contraband, so you'd be sweet.

I've got a bunch of blackwood that I had cut from billets I picked up. I also have more timber than I can use in 3 years, at my current pace..... :lol:

Lutz would be nice, too. Bring some if you can, and give us a shout when you get here. I actually live in a beautiful part of Australia, that's worth a stay of a couple days, if you have time, I'd recommend looking around the Northern Rivers.

Cheers,
Nick

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:23 pm

G'day Frans :D

Welcome to the ANZLF 8)

Tim Spittle of Australian Tonewoods is a preferred vendor at the ANZLF forum for some very good reasons. He has great wood, including some spectacular local varieties at a good price and great service. Most importantly Tim knows his stuff as far as what's needed for guitar building because he's a builder himself.

You can drop in to his web site for a quick look around but it's far better to contact him directly by phone or email and discuss exactly what your after and ask for some photos. His contact details are at the top of his web site.

http://australiantonewoods.com/index.php

Hope you have a great time while in AU but when you head back home, don't let that stop you from dropping back in to share with us.

Cheers

Kim

fransoos
Gidgee

Post by fransoos » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:14 am

Kim wrote:G'day Frans :D

Welcome to the ANZLF 8)

Tim Spittle of Australian Tonewoods is a preferred vendor at the ANZLF forum for some very good reasons. He has great wood, including some spectacular local varieties at a good price and great service. Most importantly Tim knows his stuff as far as what's needed for guitar building because he's a builder himself.

You can drop in to his web site for a quick look around but it's far better to contact him directly by phone or email and discuss exactly what your after and ask for some photos. His contact details are at the top of his web site.

http://australiantonewoods.com/index.php

Hope you have a great time while in AU but when you head back home, don't let that stop you from dropping back in to share with us.

Cheers

Kim
Thanks Kim for the friendly words. It's nice to have building friends all over the world ( especially Australia because
my daughter lives here ;-) ) and I have the intension to show my own building progress, if you are interested, and
to interchance knowledge.

Off course I did visit his website but it seems that his australian tonewood section is rather small at this moment.
If possible I like to meet some builders IRL during my visit.

Cheers indeed,

Frans
Don't worry be happy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:05 pm

fransoos wrote:
Off course I did visit his website but it seems that his australian tonewood section is rather small at this moment.
There's a reason for that :mrgreen:
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:03 am

If you come as far north as Cairns, you're more than welcome to visit. Can even put you up as we have lots of spare room.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

fransoos
Gidgee

Post by fransoos » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Allen wrote:If you come as far north as Cairns, you're more than welcome to visit. Can even put you up as we have lots of spare room.
That's a mighty fine invitation too, thanks.

We keep in touch ;-)

Frans
Don't worry be happy.

fransoos
Gidgee

Post by fransoos » Fri May 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Oke, I have arrived in Australia after 20 hours in a plane in a uncomfortable position,
But seeing my daughter and her baby in Dee Why was special.
At this moment I'm travelling to Brisbane but the weather isn't co-operative; it's
raining cats and dogs. Still love your country so far.
Don't worry be happy.