Old cars!

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Old cars!

Post by demonx » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Following on from a previous thread:
simso wrote:It just sits in the shed,

:( :( :( :(
Heres the three I mentioned before:

My current 57:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFMv0GKv9Cs

The 70 vert I had before it (pic taken while I was reversing out what is now my guitar workshop):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W7ATH2Djpw&feature=plcp

With its original wheels and roof up:

The 76 I had before the red vert:
This photo was taken on a car club cruise by a mate of mine who was driving a C4 corvette in the lane beside me.

simso
Blackwood

Re: Old cars!

Post by simso » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Nice,

I started a long time ago (20 years now) converting lhd's to rhd's, done many a car and many a spray job, but Ive always been attracted to the chevs, I came close to buying a corvette, until I sat in one, man they are hard to get in and out of.
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:20 pm

simso wrote:Nice,

I started a long time ago (20 years now) converting lhd's to rhd's, done many a car and many a spray job, but Ive always been attracted to the chevs, I came close to buying a corvette, until I sat in one, man they are hard to get in and out of.
Steve, if I recall you have a muscle/sports car??

HK GTS Monaro here... all the bits sitting here for a full rebuild to ~roughly~ original specs, plus a 540ci, 8/71, fuel injected big block. Looking for 1200hp :P

CV8 Monaro also, about to get a new LS crate motor and Harrop MP2300 supercharger <<< that's the delivery truck, and with 480kw on tap it'll get to the post office real quick! Eats up clutches like a fat boy at a smorgasboard...

My whole life I've dreamed of owning a supercharged V8. This year brings that dream twice over.

Previously owned a bunch of Monaros: HK, HQ, HJ, plus a SLR Torana replica, LX Hatchback and a Rambler Hornet. Neat cars mostly, but nothing real special.

Nearly bought a Dodge Charger (68) the year before last. Asking $50,000 with a new 440 and original near mint paint and interior. Went in to view it a second time, and price had dropped to $44,000. Decided two days later they might take $40k, only to arrive with cash in hand and find out it went for $37k. Three weeks later it resold for $65,000. DAMN!

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:14 pm

Ormsby Guitars wrote:
simso wrote:
HK GTS Monaro here... all the bits sitting here for a full rebuild to ~roughly~ original specs, plus a 540ci, 8/71, fuel injected big block. Looking for 1200hp :P
I'm having massive engine envy right now!!!

Mine is just a 350 bored out to 357 with around 400 horses!

I'm guessing this won't be a steet car? No way we could get a 540 engineered here in VIC in a HK!

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Who says you have to live by the rules??

:P

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Sweet.

Perry, my car is the one at the top of this page that was transferred across from the other topic.

Thought superchargers on v8's were a no go here in perth..

I Hummed and hahhed a long time ago on a hk monaro, it was 1500 bucks, and it was too rich for my blood, how stupid was that.

My original trade is mechanic "jet engine"
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 pm

simso wrote:Sweet.

Perry, my car is the one at the top of this page that was transferred across from the other topic.

Thought superchargers on v8's were a no go here in perth..

I Hummed and hahhed a long time ago on a hk monaro, it was 1500 bucks, and it was too rich for my blood, how stupid was that.

My original trade is mechanic "jet engine"
Laws have all changed. As long as the vehicles comply with the relevant pollution, noise and gas tests, don't obstruct vision, and have no bonnet opening, superchargers are all ok. So, on newer cars, they are fine. But, it takes stuff all effort to rip one off, swap bonnets, and rock up at the licensing centre for removal of any defect notices (on old cars with blowers sticking through the bonnet).

Skip
Gidgee

Post by Skip » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Cars and guitars just seem to go hand in hand. Some damn sweet rides up there, not on the same level but I'm currently driving this reasonably tidy TE Gemini Wagon:

Whilst my dream car, 64 EH Panelvan, sits in dad's shed as a very long, very unfinished project:

And I regret selling my first car to buy the EH, 1 owner HR Sedan with premiere everything, 186S chromed engine bay you could eat off BUT 3speed crash box that made me despise the car being a 17yo who wanted to drive at modern speeds, not 60s pootling about:

My dad and I have always had old holdens we currently have about 12 cars in various states of dis-repair around the house including another EJ Van, grandad's 65 Chev, 2 Datsun 1000 utes my sisters car of choice and a couple 1 tonners.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:31 pm

That's cool, I love P/vans. HR was my first ever car, was a ute actually.

I was looking for ages for a decent hq van and gave up buying a hq ute instead. It was decent but a month or two ago I had to make some hard decisions and let go of the 57 chev and my hq ute (had a 350 chev) and at the moment I've just got a black VY SS ute for a-b and carting stuff around.