How McCartney got his groove on

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

How McCartney got his groove on

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:56 am

Interesting video of a Hofner 'Beatle' bass being made, turn the sound down unless you like elevator style Beatles toons. :roll:

youtu.be/

Three things jump out at me in this video
1. Guess they aren't too worried about glue squeeze out inside the box :shock:
2. Strange but clever way of marking the fret positions & all cut 'freehand' guess the guy's cut a few in his time :wink:
3. All white glued until setting in the neck, wonder why the switch to HHG, hmmmmm maybe there's something to this stuff after all! :D
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Ormsby Guitars

Re: How McCartney got his groove on

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:58 am

slots were already cut, just cleaning out the slots and removing the furry edges.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Ormsby Guitars wrote:slots were already cut, just cleaning out the slots and removing the furry edges.
Hmmmmm it looked like he just marked the fret positions with that board he gave a smack first then cut the slots :oops: Guess I'll have to watch that bit again thanks Perry.
"Jesus Loves You."

MBP
Blackwood

Post by MBP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:18 pm

[/quote]

Hmmmmm it looked like he just marked the fret positions with that board he gave a smack first then cut the slots :oops: Guess I'll have to watch that bit again thanks Perry.[/quote]

Thats what it looked liked to me as well. I looked and couldnt see any pre cut slots.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Ormsby Guitars wrote:slots were already cut, just cleaning out the slots and removing the furry edges.
:lol:

For you interest, and if it doesn't depress you too much: in the early post WW2 years (and certainly also before) it was quite common that a German guitar maker had to crank out six (6) guitars per week to be able to feed his family. This, being provided with final thickness veneers for back and sides, and some small partially pre-fabricated parts. But still. No time to fuss around with fret slotting jigs. Yes, these old school guitar manufacture employees make us not-so-well trained individual builders look like bldy beginners. Remember the video of the chinese violin manufacture and how fast they cut out the soundholes freehand? (has been posted here on the ANZLF a short while back).
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes if you look carefully you can see that the slots have been cut, just difficult to see because they are still full of dust probably from being cut in one hit straight across the board with a gang of .020" circular saws or one at a time with basic XY axis CNC setup. The guy in the vid looks to be taking the slot out to suit the tang of the wire and introducing a matching radius at the same time, hence the 'basic XY axis CNC' suggestion because a more advanced setup would be doing that during the initial cut.
aaaaacleanout.JPG
aaaaacleanout.JPG (40.67 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
Cheers

Kim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:33 am

Great screen shot Kim & it makes it alot clearer! You can indeed see the precut slot, or the end of it at least, ahead of the saw. The guy's not as magical as I thought he was :cry: :lol: Slots could have been filled with the dust from sanding the radius.
"Jesus Loves You."