Kony 2012 .....The invisible children

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Kony 2012 .....The invisible children

Post by Kim » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:49 pm

My daughter showed me this video and I am proud of her for caring enough to identify the importance of good people doing the right thing.

youtu.be/

Cheers

Kim

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Re: Kony 2012 .....The invisible children

Post by needsmorecowbel » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:42 am

It will be interesting to see what happens on the night of the 20th. Could be total mayhem...

Cookie man
Myrtle

Post by Cookie man » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 pm

And once you've watched the video, read this link: http://greatnonprofits.org/reviews/invi ... inc/107602 :mrgreen:

Things aren't always just what they seem to be!
needsmorecowbel wrote: Markus it doesn't count when you briefly duck out the shed, make a fly fishing rod, then catch a trout from your hand carved canoe, package it (with the hand made vacuum machine) and then take a photo with your home made electron microscope....
:lol:

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 pm

I'd ask what is the motive behind the opponents of Invisible Children?

I think this is going to be really huge, and its motive seems to be in the best interests of the kids in Uganda. People will take it at face value, the movie is too emotive for most people not to.

They only launched this campaign two days ago (5/3/12, US time), and it's already becoming big news. Sociologists are calling it dangerous, and it probably is, in terms of the sociologists not knowing what the outcome will be. Think of the Roman "Mob". Mob rule is always going to be dangerous, just ask some dead Romans, or a dead French dude who lost his head during the French revolution. Rule by mob can get real ugly, real fast. And a lot of people already want the guy dead, just over something they saw on YouTube, guilt by media.

I hope it works, if the guy is doing the things they say he is then he deserves to be strung-up, but not by a lynch mob, or a black ops death squad. First they have to catch him, try him, and then string him-up.

Oh, and thanks for posting that Kim.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:16 pm

Cookie man wrote: Things aren't always just what they seem to be!
First comment made about the so called review at the link you posted seems to indicate that is indeed the case:
For anyone who read this comment, I wouldn't put too much trust in the words stated here. The poster - first off - isn't who wrote those words. I was able to find this exact post in a forum in Oct 2007 by someone named "Livingstone" and that poster refused to respond to their words, or backup their statements. It appears this comment is posted to incite negativity and mistrust. Statements such as these should be backed up with facts.
An here's an official response to the trolling from invisible children..

http://invisible.tumblr.com/

Cheers

Kim

Cookie man
Myrtle

Post by Cookie man » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Kim wrote:
Cookie man wrote: Things aren't always just what they seem to be!
First comment made about the so called review at the link you posted seems to indicate that is indeed the case:
For anyone who read this comment, I wouldn't put too much trust in the words stated here. The poster - first off - isn't who wrote those words. I was able to find this exact post in a forum in Oct 2007 by someone named "Livingstone" and that poster refused to respond to their words, or backup their statements. It appears this comment is posted to incite negativity and mistrust. Statements such as these should be backed up with facts.
An here's an official response to the trolling from invisible children..
Thanks for that Kim. I had heard about this 'invisible children' thing about three years ago when my father received a DVD of the documentary that was produced by the same people. Naturally I do want to see Joseph Kony arrested, but tonight a good friend and mentor raised an interesting point about this campaign going viral all over Twitter, Facebook and Youtube, and that is that if people are successful in raising enough support in order to sway government, then it can be potentially dangerous; people may then come to the conclusion that there is little that can't be done through the power of the people. We have seen what Hitler was able to do by convincing enough people to go along with his agenda. I am not saying that Kony 2012 is the same as the Nazi plan, but this needs to be thought about in a critical way, not simply on emotional motives.

Note that the video is actually outdated somewhat, and it would have been better if this had been addressed years before. its also interesting that Kony isn't actually in Uganda anymore but hiding somewhere in Congo.

The other unfortunate thing is that someone else will most likely step up to take Kony's place, and little would have been achieved.
needsmorecowbel wrote: Markus it doesn't count when you briefly duck out the shed, make a fly fishing rod, then catch a trout from your hand carved canoe, package it (with the hand made vacuum machine) and then take a photo with your home made electron microscope....

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:07 am

Cookie man wrote:Naturally I do want to see Joseph Kony arrested, but tonight a good friend and mentor raised an interesting point about this campaign going viral all over Twitter, Facebook and Youtube, and that is that if people are successful in raising enough support in order to sway government, then it can be potentially dangerous; people may then come to the conclusion that there is little that can't be done through the power of the people.
Yes I see your friends point, we can't have that because it sounds dangerously close to democracy to me. Its 'Governments' that are meant to campaign and sway the people..there's little they can't be sold with the help of Rupert and a few dollars invested on the teli.
Cookie man wrote: Kony isn't actually in Uganda anymore but hiding somewhere in Congo.
Yes, that point was addressed in IC's official response posted above.
Cookie man wrote:The other unfortunate thing is that someone else will most likely step up to take Kony's place, and little would have been achieved.
Quite right Jonathan, I guess atrocity is an art form to, so Kony's probably the best bloke for the job. With so many years experience he's got a polished outfit and it would be hard to imagine a replacement being near as efficient for at least the first couple of years. :D

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:19 am

Coverage in todays edition of The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/tec ... 1unxg.html
Martin

Cookie man
Myrtle

Post by Cookie man » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:04 pm

Kim wrote: Yes I see your friends point, we can't have that because it sounds dangerously close to democracy to me. Its 'Governments' that are meant to campaign and sway the people..there's little they can't be sold with the help of Rupert and a few dollars invested on the teli.
Touche. As churchill said, 'Democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others that have been tried.'
One thing I've noticed, and appreciated about this forum is how political and social issues are discussed calmly instead of exploding into personal attacks and messy arguments.

Thanks
:cl

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm not sure this campaign is really going to achieve very much. I like the idea of it, and it will be interesting to watch. But thinking you can change much by arresting one bloke... Someone else will just step in and fill the power vacuum once Kony is gone - and the next one might be even worse.

Perhaps all this power to the people, right on, stuff will do is give one of his rivals the means of getting rid of him without risking a nasty confrontation.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:46 am

You're right Paul, it is better not trying to touch the power of evil individuals because the next one could be worse. I also agree with the point you make that the campaign could be not worth the effort. One always has to be very careful when making a decision if to do something or not. Normally I am extremely careful taking decisions, especially before getting up. This is the reason why I usually just stay in bed all day long. I just can't afford to make a wrong decision and I am better off doing nothing, so at least things are not getting worse, or if they do at least it will not be my fault.

Cheers,
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:47 am

How's it go again...All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men steel his Norton...or something like that. :D

Cheers

Kim

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:18 pm

I am not saying it is not worth the effort. I'm saying that African politics is pretty complex, and all we're seeing is one small piece of it.