Clip of the day

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Clip of the day

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:17 am

Hi all,

Fascinating instrument, wonderful playing

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x354wb ... -ya-hbibti

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks Sebastiaan that was interesting. Clearly the performer has been heavily influenced by Peter Frampton....... :D

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Yes, fascinating instrument indeed, thanks mate! :D

The family seems to enjoy that nice playing too!
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:37 pm

I know that song!

I forget all the words but the first line is- " We all came out to Montreux on the Lake Geneva shoreline" :lol:

Pretty Cool! I think he's playing a Somogyi!! :lol:

Try this, a little more modern! There's dancing and monkees!

Mondian Ton Bachke

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:59 pm

Sebastiaan,

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a special name for this instrument? Looks like a lute-sized body, but I'd guess it is an oud. Sort of a "dred" of the oud world?

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Well, I just did a Google search for "oud" and see that this is actually a typical size for an oud. I don't know why I thought they were generally smaller, more like a cittern/bouzouki size.

Anyway, in my search, I did find a few images worth sharing:

Oud with graceful headstock/"pegbox". Ouds by Dimitris http://www.dimitrisouds.com/ouds.htm

Egyptian oud (painted, I assume?) http://www.rainbowcrystal.com/music/music6.html

Talk about a a severe head break angle! http://www.khalafoud.com/Jameel_OudCons ... allery.htm
Another damn Yank!

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:31 am

I'm pretty sure it's a mandol or mandocello! It's like a North African mandolin. Tuned the same.

Here's a link, The neck seems longer but the rest is very similar!

Mandol

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:59 am

Thanks, Billy. I wasn't paying attention to the number of strings (or the head break angle, or the fact that the instrument in the video has bent sides, not a bowl back.) Other than those minor points, I think my powers of observation are pretty keen. :oops:

This site has nothing good to say about that particular model (but it is just another case of who is playing the poorly made instrument as to how it sounds. The guy plays better than I do!)
http://www.musicaviva.com/buyers-guide/ ... ory=mandol

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:36 pm

Other than those minor points, I think my powers of observation are pretty keen.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It must be that spider sense! :D

Really cool video! It's like, your kicking back in a friends back yard.... friends that don't speak english!

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:50 pm

BTW Dennis, thanks for posting those Oud/Lute shots!

:?: Is that one inlayed on the back or is that paint, does anybody know? What a lot of work!

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi Billy,

At $450 from Egypt I would expect it to be some kind of laminate. Happy to be proved wrong.

I believe it to be some kind of Mandola but its a bit arbitrary. I four course tenor instrument is closest. Points of interest for me; the position of his right hand and the quite distinctive Morrocan / Arabic tone he gets. He covers the tailpiece with his arm but the strings appear to be looped back to the peghead. I also like the diamond shaped soundhole.

Im not sure I'd consider it poorly made Dennis, probably what the fashion for sound/ design dictates. Im dont know about the US but some of the Ouds Ive seen on sale here command top dollar. I reckon you will see a few at Port Fairy Bob!

I just wish I could understand the lyrics. But isnt it what this luthery gig is about, people making music and enjoying,

Sebastiaan

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:44 pm

Im not sure I'd consider it poorly made Dennis
Sebastian, I think Dennis is talking about the link he posted!

The diamond soundhole is cool looking! I wonder how well it would translate into a guitar?

Thanks for posting the vid, I've listened to it many times!

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi Billy,

Oops, apologies Dennis. I think that Graham's book describes an instrument very similar to the one being played. I believe its from Algeria. I got the link of a Mando forum,

Sebastiaan

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:36 am

sebastiaan56 wrote:Im not sure I'd consider it poorly made Dennis, probably what the fashion for sound/ design dictates. Im dont know about the US but some of the Ouds Ive seen on sale here command top dollar.

Sebastiaan
Yeah, I was commenting on this review: "This Chinese-made instrument is sold as an Irish bouzouki, but it actually works better as a mandocello. If you're looking for an affordable Irish bouzoouki you're definitely much better off with a Korean or Romanian made one, but if you need a cheap mandocello...

Well, this is definitely not a good instrument no matter how you string and tune it, but it may be the only alternative you have
."

Contrary to what the reviewer is saying, the instrument sounds good to me - doesn't sound cheap - nor does it look poorly made. I was pointing out that it appeared I had found the same instrument on another site (Musica Viva) and that if the reviewer is correct, then the skill of the musician in the video is making a poorly made instrument sound good.

A poor musician cannot make magic with a great instrument, but I have seen/heard a great musician make magic with a poor instrument. I figured that if the reviewer knew what he was talking about, then it must be the skill of the musician in this case.

I enjoyed the performance in the video, and though I have no idea what the lyrics say, it was a reminder to me of the power of the universal language of music.

Dennis

{edit} You know what else was evident in that video to me was the very high quality of the video and the audio (and the sync between video and audio.) I guess I have seen too many YouTube music videos, and have started to believe that shitty quality video/audio/sync is to be expected. This video is proof that high quality can be maintained.

I suspect that was shot with a broadcast-quality video camera, like the ones that journalists use. I'd LOVE to be able to get that level of quality in a backyard video!
Another damn Yank!

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:33 am

Kept thinking about the Oud's posted yesterday Dennis. The Oud for sale here is mosaiced (is that a word)

http://www.worldmusicalinstruments.com/ ... rings.aspx

Only $345, I think these guys are seriously undercharging for their work.

Sebastiaan

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:32 am

I suspect that was shot with a broadcast-quality video camera, like the ones that journalists use.
Look at the editing! The angle shots and cuts are professionally done for sure! I think it's a copy off of some French TV or something!

obmit
Blackwood

Post by obmit » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Just thought Id liven this topic back up

I have attached a clip of my wife's uncle playing. It all his fault i am a ukulele weirdo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RTGLrlU7Rg

Cheers

Tim

one day I will make him a uke or guitar :wink:
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/ImBroken8/annoyingbug.gif[/img]
http://holeshotnitro.com/

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:12 am

Thanks Sebastiaan, cool playing & even though I couldn't understand a word I enjoyed the toon. Was just waiting for the female backup singer to bust a move.
Dennis thanks for finding that oud site, he sure can make some awful purdy ouds, not sure they need nuts with that break over angle though, more like a set of rollers!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.