Place your bids!!

Anything that doesn't have to do with luthiery can be discussed here. Please be moderate.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Place your bids!!

Post by Kim » Fri May 06, 2011 8:55 am

Here's a little fun, first prize a tub of yak fat.

Only 3 days and 16hrs to go on this set of E.A. Berg chisels...a rare find indeed but what do you recon they will end up going for??

Place your guesstimate reflected in US$ in this thread and lets see who gets 'closest' to the final sale price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/9-piece-Erik-Anton- ... 3073724505

My guess is that this set of 9 chisels will sell for $1065 USD :shock:

What's yours???

Must say that its quite sad to see what open exposure created by ebay to the obsession of collectors has done to the price of good old tools...The business end of these wonderful chisels are destined never to cut a single fibre of wood.....ironic that tools made by craftsman for craftsman to create show pieces have become only that themselves....strange animals indeed us earthling.

Cheers

Kim

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Place your bids!!

Post by Nick » Fri May 06, 2011 9:13 am

I could do with some fresh Yak fat my last lot's getting a bit manky.
US$990
Never used & still in the box! Somebody's gonna score a beaut set of chisels, troubling thing is will the next generation appreciate them (or even know what they're used for :shock:, they don't fit into the memory slot of the XBox....do they? :wink: ) when they come up for sale again?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 am

They don't make em like that anymore! I will go with $1250 for a wild guess.

Cheers

Al
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Fri May 06, 2011 10:44 am

I've come up with a sinister plan to win the yak fat. by bidding $10 000 on the chisels then "guessing" in here that $10000 will be the price I'll stitch things up. Then I'll place the yak fat on ebay and place a "guessing game" thread in the yak fat forum. plumping up the bids as I go. in no time my place at the top of the pyramid scheme will render me rich and famous. 8)

I couldn't possibly lose.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri May 06, 2011 11:08 am

Simply Brilliant Liam! Luv the concept, perpetual wealth generation...have you thought about a career in banking?? :D

Cheers

Kim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri May 06, 2011 11:15 am

That's Pat Foster's neck of the woods. Hmmmm.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri May 06, 2011 11:28 am

Lillian wrote:That's Pat Foster's neck of the woods. Hmmmm.
What's ur bid chicken..

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri May 06, 2011 4:47 pm

$1129
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Fri May 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Nick wrote:I could do with some fresh Yak fat my last lot's getting a bit manky.
US$990
Never used & still in the box! Somebody's gonna score a beaut set of chisels, troubling thing is will the next generation appreciate them (or even know what they're used for :shock:, they don't fit into the memory slot of the XBox....do they? :wink: ) when they come up for sale again?

Actaully, Nick they will fit in the memery slot of an Xbox, its just that you would have to help them along a bit with a mallet (I would of course not use a hammer on those chisels) and you would probably have to resharpen them afterward, but the Xbox would definitely be munted.,
Richard

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri May 06, 2011 6:32 pm

I hope the person that buys them clouts them with a mallet once in a while just so they know they are chisels. I chuckled when I read that the first owner thought they were "too nice" to use them. I guess as far as their rarity goes they would be priceless to a collector as it must be hard to find 50 year old unused chisels but I am going to go with not much over $100 per for each piece so $960.

Who won the last tub, mine looks fresh so if I win this I will donate it to a charity of some description.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri May 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Will yak fat spoil during shipping?

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri May 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Nicko's already got $990 Lil...shoot again...never used, original factory packing etc....hmmmmm :D

Oh, and the Yak Fat is already rancid...that's what makes it soooo good. :mrgreen:

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri May 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Oops. 875.00

Nummy. I can't wait to try it. Suggested usage?

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri May 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Dip....or you can melt it a little and just use a straw. The lumps are a bit of a challenge though..were'nt there when it was put in the tub so we're not to sure what they are but at least they have the good grace to wiggle out of the way when you prod them with the straw a little. :|

Cheers

Kim

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sat May 07, 2011 8:36 am

Mmmm. that's got my mouth watering Kim :lol:

$920
Craig Lawrence

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat May 07, 2011 9:17 am

1384.-

Although I see those cowards don't go higher at the moment! :twisted: Only 2 1/2 days left! Hurry up collectors! :twisted: :twisted:

Anyway I guess these poor chisels will have to wait to be forgotten once more before getting used. The positive message behind this is that Xboxes will not exist anymore at that time. :wink:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat May 07, 2011 11:54 am

Knowing how much rancid Yak fat is enjoyed I would hate to see any fights or falling out of friendships over this so can we please be clear on the rules? Is it the closest below the final price or closest above or just the closest above or below.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Chisels??? (wakes up) what chisels???
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat May 07, 2011 2:52 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:Knowing how much rancid Yak fat is enjoyed I would hate to see any fights or falling out of friendships over this so can we please be clear on the rules? Is it the closest below the final price or closest above or just the closest above or below.

Jim

Closest either above or below...however should a tie eventuate with the two closest bids being an equal sum from the final sale amount, one above, one below, then the winner shall be the lower bid of the two...that is of course less the final amount should finish with the number '9'. In that case the winner shall be decided by water pistols at dawn, in the nude, whilst balancing an egg on a spoon with the mouth...should that fail to reveal our champion we shall move on to sardines at 15 paces..with sauce..whilst clasping a 50c piece between the buttocks and should that contest also end in a draw, the matter will be settled once and for all by a one legged race but I would like to avoid that if at at all possible because last time it was an absolute bugger hosing all gore out of the chainsaw.

Petty standard stuff really, carry on.. 8)

Cheers

Kim

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat May 07, 2011 3:12 pm

If it's a draw, how about the winner is the one who comes up with the best Yak Fat recipe? I already have one for a deep fried Yak Fat & sweetbreads roll served on a bed of overboiled cabbage & a fully synthetic sump oil garnish then all washed down with a bottle of the '82 chateau ratspiss, not such a good year cos it was a little dry that year but it does go well with the deep fried roll. Oh and ice cream to finish.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat May 07, 2011 4:24 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:1384.-

Although I see those cowards don't go higher at the moment! :twisted: Only 2 1/2 days left! Hurry up collectors! :twisted: :twisted:

Anyway I guess these poor chisels will have to wait to be forgotten once more before getting used. The positive message behind this is that Xboxes will not exist anymore at that time. :wink:

All the action is going to be within the last hours, specifically the last few moments. I'm surprised that there has been 18 bids on it already. There appears to be two bidders that are actively looking for the other's limit. But chances are they will go to someone sitting on the sidelines wait for the last 10 seconds to bid, hoping that they bid enough.

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Sat May 07, 2011 4:27 pm

As a further point of clarification. Would you be referring to this...
fat-yak.png
fat-yak.png (77.02 KiB) Viewed 17723 times
...or something derived from this...
yak.jpg
yak.jpg (281.37 KiB) Viewed 17723 times
As a non-drinker, I'm more interested in the trans-fat content of yak fat - apparently makes good cheese, and great for the old ticker. And, if it does go rancid, the Tibetans have been using it for years to burn in lanterns.
I'm in for $969.
Steve

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat May 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Let's be quite clear about this. Our rancid yak fat is rendered from only the finest air dried mountain yak testicles..there is no substitute for quality because nothing but the best will do here at the ANZLF.

Look at the marbling in this sample..pure excellence.
yak eye havafat.jpg
yak eye havafat.jpg (271.84 KiB) Viewed 17721 times
Cheers

Kim

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat May 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Lillian wrote: I'm surprised that there has been 18 bids on it already.
I never could understand (and still do not understand) that anyone on eBay bids earlier than 5 seconds before the auction ends. But of course this strange behaviour of many bidders is good for the sellers. ;)
Kim wrote:Look at the marbling in this sample..pure excellence.
Very inspiring Kim. How can one solidify it permanently at room temperature to use it as inlay material? (Or to resaw some beautiful ukulele sets).
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun May 08, 2011 1:36 am

charangohabsburg wrote:
Lillian wrote: I'm surprised that there has been 18 bids on it already.
I never could understand (and still do not understand) that anyone on eBay bids earlier than 5 seconds before the auction ends. But of course this strange behaviour of many bidders is good for the sellers. ;)
Aww, a man after my own heart. 8) :lol:

I see the little buggers were busy last night, but the pace has slowed way down. Four bids to raise it $9.00.