Falcate 14 fret body joint SS Guitar completed

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Falcate 14 fret body joint SS Guitar completed

Post by WJ Guitars » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:47 pm

Thanks Martin for helping with my login problem.

After many disruptions this year I have finally been able to complete a Falcate 14 fret body SS Guitar build. Having to stop and start then making mistakes through out this project I did have some rework. For the first time I made hemispherical frets using the grinding wheel that I purchase NK Forster Guitars. Once I became familiar using the wheel the results were great. However, it does take more effort and time to finish the fret ends and fit them to the fretboard. I also decided on this guitar to change the headstock shape and parts of the fretboard pearl inlay just to be different for this guitar build. For the back /sides, rosette, heel cap and headstock I used 'Amboyna'. I found it was necessary to grain fill three times with epoxy to fill the grain.

I did notice that the sound with the bridge located to suit a 14 fret body joint guitar was different to the sound of a 12 fret body joint version. I like how they both sound. It just depends on what you or your client wants.

I have prepared a detailed specification sheet and photos, see below, plus a youtube. On the youtube I have made two sound track versions. The first (4 minute 15 second) track is dry with no effects and the second track is a repeat of the first with video and sound effects added i.e. compression, eq and a small amount of reverb. See youtube link below.

https://youtu.be/jSTmE5pqDNs

Wayne
Specifications 14 Fret Body Joint.jpg
Front Back Display.jpg
Page 1 med.jpg
Page 2 med.jpg
Page 3 med.jpg
Page 4 med.jpg

GregL
Blackwood

Re: Falcate 14 fret body joint SS Guitar completed

Post by GregL » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:02 am

Hi Wayne,
Great looking guitar!
I have not seen Camphor Laurel used much on acoustic instruments. Around here (NSW Northern Rivers region) it's regarded as a weed - though I have made a few non-guitar-related pieces out of it. The bits you used must be "old growth", because it takes many decades for the timber to get any "figuring".
How did you find working it?
When you say "Cedar" for the arm-rest veneer base, do you mean Australian Red Cedar or Western Red Cedar?
Thanks,
GregL.

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:48 am

Thanks Greg for your comments on the guitar build.

I purchased a Camphor Laurel back and sides set from 'Australia Guitar Timbers'. David Linton sources the Camphor Laurel in Queensland and is very experienced in milling this timber in quarter cut format. I used a side to make the bindings strips and cut them up on my band saw. For the Camphor Laurel arm bevel veneer I made it from one of the back pieces on my drum sander to 0.65mm thickness to make the veneer suitable for glueing. This process worked well and takes some time to carefully thickness the timber. I did not have any problems working with the seasoned quarter cut Camphor Laurel from David. I still have plenty of Camphor Laurel left over to make more bindings and veneers for other guitar builds.

I have not tried to use Camphor Laurel for back sides on a guitar build although it seems to be popular with some of the guitars made by Aaron Fenech, 'Fenech Guitars, Miami, Qld'. See comments on Aaron's facebook pages. It looks great, however, I'm not sure how good it's tone quality would be for the back of a acoustic guitar.

The arm bevel was made from a slab of Western Red Cedar purchased from a local timber yard. It was easy to work with and light in weight.

Wayne

AKEric
Myrtle

Post by AKEric » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:20 am

Beautiful sounding guitar, Wayne. Thanks for the YouTube link. I'm struck by how rich and even it sound across trebles, mids and base, and how closely this guitar sounds to the Falcate guitars I have made. I think Trevor is on to something here. Great job.

Eric

Valben
Myrtle

Post by Valben » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:02 am

Thanks Wayne, awesome looking and especially sounding guitar. You made me wanting to start looking into falcate bracing :-)

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:35 am

AKEric wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:20 am
Beautiful sounding guitar, Wayne. Thanks for the YouTube link. I'm struck by how rich and even it sound across trebles, mids and base, and how closely this guitar sounds to the Falcate guitars I have made. I think Trevor is on to something here. Great job.

Eric
Thanks Eric for your comments on the guitar.

Trevor's creative falcate design is a wonderful key that has proven to be consistent to be able to build a great sounding guitar. I have also seen your website and enjoy looking at your excellent guitar builds. The detail photos showing your construction methods are very interesting.

Wayne
Valben wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:02 am
Thanks Wayne, awesome looking and especially sounding guitar. You made me wanting to start looking into falcate bracing :-)
Thanks Valben, your comments on the guitar are appreciated.

From my building experience with falcate braced guitars I have been very happy with the results. I found that it takes more effort and care to build a falcate braced guitar. However, I think that it is worth the effort. To further help my falcate guitar building skills in combination with the Gore/ Gilet Books, I also purchased both of Trevor's video instruction courses that can be obtained from the Robbie O'Brien Luthier Academy. Both of the videos available are very helpful to gain better practical understanding to build and undertake the frequency testing methods required in building a falcate braced guitar.

I also like the posts on your great guitar builds.

Wayne