Cooba Guitar now completed

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Cooba Guitar now completed

Post by WJ Guitars » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:07 pm

I have now finally completed the 'Cooba' Guitar and so far have not had to make any adjustments to the guitar neck or, compensation. All appears to be settled and stable so far. I have attached the final Guitar Gallery Compressed Photo pages, Guitar Specifications / Frequency Graph tests and the 'Cooba' timber information details.

I have spent some time this week making sound recordings (no effects) and the video recordings. I need to work on my guitar playing skills to improve my timing and stereo microphone positioning to minimise phasing issues when recording. However, I have had some fun making these recordings and I like the playing this guitar. I like the acoustic sound it has.

The You tube video total time is 9 minutes.

These recording samples are me putting together some chords that connect together:

- Flat pick sample track (2min 25sec)
- Finger picking sample track (2min 32sec)
- Rhythm sample track (1min 54sec)

I have also made a repeat of the third track and added some minor Compression, EQ and Reverb effects for compassion. See You tube video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlfXvs8OByw

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlfXvs8OByw[/youtube]

Wayne
Page 1 compressed.jpg
Page 2 compressed.jpg
Page 3 compressed.jpg
Page 4 compressed.jpg
Guitar Specifications compressed.jpg
Cooba Data.jpg

Snail
Wandoo

Re: Cooba Guitar now completed

Post by Snail » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi Wayne,

It is a really beautiful guitar. I clicked on the link and have had your playing on whilst I am working. Nice playing, don't sell yourself short!! If you are really think you need to improve your timing, there is a great app called Rhythm Trainer. It shows a rhythm and then you tap the rhythm on your phone screen. Great app and a nice distraction every now and then.

Can you confirm that the first part of the video is not EQ'ed etc?! (I actually thought the start of the recording was EQ'ed etc. until I read your post properly. Very nice).

Quick question, the distance from the edge of the fingerboard to the E strings at the nut seems wider than normal. Is that the case or is it just the photo?

Congratulations.

Dan

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:21 pm

Can you confirm that the first part of the video is not EQ'ed etc?! (I actually thought the start of the recording was EQ'ed etc. until I read your post properly. Very nice).

Quick question, the distance from the edge of the fingerboard to the E strings at the nut seems wider than normal. Is that the case or is it just the photo?

Congratulations.

Dan
Thanks Dan for the appraisal of the guitar. Over many years I use to play very regularly in bands and I practiced a lot. However, now since retired my playing abilities are not as accurate with timing and I would need to practice more regularly to improve. I now enjoy spending time playing my guitars for fun at home and I am not be too concerned whether my timing is accurate.

I can confirm that NO EQ was used on the first three tracks. They were recorded dry, NO post editing of EQ or, other effects added. I then decided to make a copy of the dry Rhythm Sample third track and then added this to the 'youtube' video as a fourth track. I did do some slight post effects editing on this Rhythm Sample (fourth) track using 'Pro Tools' with Compression, EQ and Reverb for comparison with the dry Rhythm Sample third track. In the past as a side line I have had some experience as a part time Recording Engineer.

The width from the outside edge of the fretboard at the nut end for the 1st and 6th 'E' string is 4mm.

Wayne

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:18 pm

Very nice Wayne. I like your arm bevel is additional to the soundboard plantilla
Trent

Snail
Wandoo

Post by Snail » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:29 pm

Thanks Wayne.

Sorry, I wasn't criticising your playing in any way, I thought it was great. I was merely replying to your comment 'I need to work on my guitar playing skills to improve my timing'. Just trying to be helpful and what has worked for me in part. After almost 30 years, I find I need to go back an tune up the foundations every now and then - more than I would like, to be honest.

Wow - that is such a well balanced guitar. Very impressive.

A little wider than the guitars I have laying around, but nothing drastic. Thanks for the info - trying to learn as much as I can. ;)

Dan

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:20 pm

Thanks again Dan for your reply. I do understand that you were not being critical regarding my timing comments. Going through this recent recording process has encourage me to spend more time playing my guitar as most of my house renovations are now completed. Building guitars is very interesting and as you mentioned there is always "much to learn" for all us. As time permits building the next guitar is another opportunity to further develop the crafting skills that are always rewarding.

Wayne
by lamanoditrento » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:18 pm

Very nice Wayne. I like your arm bevel is additional to the soundboard plantilla/quote]

Thanks Trent for your comments. I like arm bevels.

Wayne

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:39 pm

Great build Wayne, really beautiful guitar.
Wayne

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:18 pm

by 56nortondomy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:39 pm

Great build Wayne, really beautiful guitar.
Wayne
Thanks Wayne for your positive comments. I did enjoy this guitar build with the figured Cooba back and sides. I am very happy with the results.

As another matter, I decided to review my recording methods. Previously, my centre microphone was facing directly at the sound hole. It was over emphasising the overtones coming from the sound hole. With the three pointed microphone setup I then relocated the centre microphone and selected a figure '8' polar pattern. I then aligned it at the 12th fret. I did noticed an improvement to the sound quality.

After fixing my setup, I then made a demo recording of a traditional Hymn 'Amazing Grace'. I am bit rusty now with my guitar playing the song is easy to play, however, it has a few spots where I should have played the rhythm better. I also added some lead guitar melody lines with my Gibson Les Paul that went OK. I then posted edit the tracks on 'Pro Tools'. Hopefully, an improvement of the guitar's rhythm sound quality is noticeable. See audio track below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oY-cxR ... sp=sharing

Wayne
WJ Guitars

https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:20 am

So much detail - and that Acacia is quite magnificent.

I wonder what the neck body joint is? There doesn't seem to be room for the G&G bolt on, and you also have the strap button into the heel...?

Great stuff Dave
------------------
Dave

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:14 am

by Dave M » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:20 am

So much detail - and that Acacia is quite magnificent.

I wonder what the neck body joint is? There doesn't seem to be room for the G&G bolt on, and you also have the strap button into the heel...?

Great stuff Dave
Thanks Dave for the great comments. The body joint is a bolt on neck joint using barrels (see photo attachment) and yes there is enough meat in the neck heel to screw the strap button on.

Wayne
Attachments
Neck Joint.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:33 pm

I need correct the audio link posted by WJ Guitars » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:18 pm. It was older version. See below for the latest version of Amazing Grace Instrumental.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AO8owh ... sp=sharing

Wayne