Twin tenors

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave Higham
Beefwood

Twin tenors

Post by Dave Higham » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:59 pm

Back in the mists of time (2009) the OLF had a Buy/Sell/Swap thingummy and your very own Bob Connor had some wood to sell. Among other things I bought two tenor uke sets of tiger myrtle
I started building them at New Year 2010 and they were almost finished in October. But I had a problem French polishing the bodies. The shellac wouldn’t harden. I’d do a session, leave them hanging up for a while and then lay them carefully on an old towel covered by an even older t-shirt and the next morning they’d be stuck to the t-shirt. I tried hanging them up for two or three days but if I put them down on anything overnight there’d be an imprint in the finish the next day. In the end I got fed up with them and left them in a drawer where they stayed until we moved house recently.
When I got them out the polish seemed to have hardened so I finished them off. Our two eldest grandchildren had their 18th birthdays recently, so they got one each.
Attachments
TU 008.JPG
TU 002.jpg
TU 003.JPG
TU 006.JPG
TU 007.JPG
TU 010.JPG
TU 011.JPG
TU 012.JPG

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Twin tenors

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:32 pm

They look very classy!. The tiger myrtle pairs up really well with the (?) mahogany neck and whatever you used for the bindings and other trimmings. A really nice package. I also like your initials on the back of the headstock. And it is nice how passage of time solved your finish problem.

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: Twin tenors

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:16 pm

Nice clean inlay there. Well done
Trent