Rimu, Flamed Maple, Ziricote, Tiger Myrtle and Mahogany SS6

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Rimu, Flamed Maple, Ziricote, Tiger Myrtle and Mahogany SS6

Post by demonx » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:21 pm

Some finished pics of Daynes SS6:

1 piece Flame Maple handcarved Neckthru
Scarf jointed Flame Maple headstock
Handcarved Rimu bookmatched top
African Mahogany body
Ziricote fingerboard
Tiger Myrtle Binding
White side dots - Small

Kahler 7300 Hybrid
Floyd Rose Lock nut
Grover Straplock system
Grover Tuners - Black
Block control knobs

3 mini switches to toggle pickups on/off
CTS volume pot 500k
CTS Push pull Tone 500k
Bareknuckle Crawler humbucker - Bridge
Bareknuckle Mothers Milk - Middle
Bareknuckle Mothers Milk - Neck

25.5" scale
16" radius
24 frets
Recessed bridge

More pics here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 687&type=1

Kamusur
Blackwood

Re: Rimu, Flamed Maple, Ziricote, Tiger Myrtle and Mahogany

Post by Kamusur » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Looks like a real demon there Allan, excellent work and great use of all those timbers. Love the finish as well. :cl

Steve

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Thanks

I'm quite happy with the way this one plays.

I'm hoping it arrives safely to its new owner in QLD

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 am

Another awesome guitar, loved watching the build progress as well.

Keep 'em coming

Col

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:07 am

colburge wrote: Keep 'em coming

Col
That I will!

My builds have suffered of late as I've been flat out with a non guitar job I've been swamped with over the last six weeks, doing a shopfit. Basically the job is an internal demolition of a retail store that's a bit over 300 sq m, then the fit out which I calculated the timber part to be nearly a thousand lineal meters of pine that I've used (framing plus skirts and arks), a full packet of plaster and I'm talking long sheets, not housing sized sheets. Then I painted it all which took about a week on the roller. Along side my own parts I've also been swamped with managing all the subbies, sparkies, plumbers, plasterers, tilers, wrought iron blacksmith, wallpaper guy, security and POS people, agents, signwriters, carpet layers, local council for permits etc, the list goes on and on. Not getting a whole lot of sleep!

So yeah, back to guitars, my time has been reduced significantly but I'm still trying to get my orders out. This one freights off to QLD once I've packed it and I've got another to pack up going to NSW. A couple more local orders are still in production, not sure if anyone around here wants me to post build threads of unfinished guitars?

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 am

demonx wrote:
colburge wrote: Keep 'em coming

Col
That I will!

My builds have suffered of late as I've been flat out with a non guitar job I've been swamped with over the last six weeks, doing a shopfit. Basically the job is an internal demolition of a retail store that's a bit over 300 sq m, then the fit out which I calculated the timber part to be nearly a thousand lineal meters of pine that I've used (framing plus skirts and arks), a full packet of plaster and I'm talking long sheets, not housing sized sheets. Then I painted it all which took about a week on the roller. Along side my own parts I've also been swamped with managing all the subbies, sparkies, plumbers, plasterers, tilers, wrought iron blacksmith, wallpaper guy, security and POS people, agents, signwriters, carpet layers, local council for permits etc, the list goes on and on. Not getting a whole lot of sleep!

So yeah, back to guitars, my time has been reduced significantly but I'm still trying to get my orders out. This one freights off to QLD once I've packed it and I've got another to pack up going to NSW. A couple more local orders are still in production, not sure if anyone around here wants me to post build threads of unfinished guitars?
I know what you mean, I am in the middle of doing a reno and cant see myself building an instrument for a while. At least I can watch other guys build theirs.

Col

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:22 am

colburge wrote:
I know what you mean, I am in the middle of doing a reno and cant see myself building an instrument for a while. At least I can watch other guys build theirs.

Col
Yeah, it's all about time management and how many hours you're prepared to work and then just dealing with the burned out feeling. I'm in the middle of a house reno as well, but its on hold until the shop is done. The main bulk is done, ie turning the main 4 rooms into one open plan, new kitchen, new timber flooring etc, which makes it feel like a house rather than a construction site (all about keeping the woman happy!), now I've moved onto the laundry which is gutted, finished most of the plastering, it's just ready for paint and tiling, then move onto the next room.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:50 am

Nice use of Rimu there Allan and a nicely figured neck, nice job :D :D :cl :cl
Do you use the Bareknuckles almost exclusively now or were they customer's choice?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:07 am

Nick wrote:Nice use of Rimu there Allan and a nicely figured neck, nice job :D :D :cl :cl
Do you use the Bareknuckles almost exclusively now or were they customer's choice?
Thankyou. I have a couple other piecves of Rimu there which may pop up in future builds.

Bareknuckles, I wouldn't say exclusively, but I'm yet to find something better.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:58 pm

demonx wrote:
Nick wrote:Nice use of Rimu there Allan and a nicely figured neck, nice job :D :D :cl :cl

You Don't Like Mick Brierly's Pick ups Allan ?
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Tod Gilding wrote:
demonx wrote:

You Don't Like Mick Brierly's Pick ups Allan ?
Ill be honest, I've never tried them. In saying that I've never read anything about them that made me want to try them.

The market I sell to is metal players and I don't believe brierly makes anything that would be suitable for my guitars. Their write up of their "hot" pickup sounds like the sort of thing we'd pull out of an old 80's guitar and replace with a modern pickup

Now I repeat, I have never tried one, so I'm just basing this on what I have read from their own marketing.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Do you get many people wanting active pickups Allan? Emgs or the like?

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:43 pm

needsmorecowbel wrote:Do you get many people wanting active pickups Allan? Emgs or the like?
Not these days.

EMG's are sort of frowned upon by most serious players. There are still the "old schoolers" whom are set in their ways, but I've converted every die hard EMG fan that has come here to Bareknuckles, myself included. So that must speak for itself.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:03 pm

How do you like the kahler?
how does it feel in comparison to a Floyd?

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:32 pm

jeffhigh wrote:How do you like the kahler?
how does it feel in comparison to a Floyd?
At the end of the day, its Holden vs ford, you're going to get guys that love one and swear the other is rubbish.

Personally, I prefer the kahler. Its solid, much more adjustable and I like the look.

I don't use kahler locknuts, I prefer the floyd ones.

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:11 pm

hey mate loving the flame maple neck! im working a flying v with a 3 piece flame maple neck at the moment. should be done in the next few weeks (provided i get enough spare time to do it)
also i must comment on active pickup debate :) i am working on a prototype model of my own single cut and i am going to be using EMG active pickups. I guess i am one of those 'old school' guys (even though im 26 years old) stuck in his ways :) i am yet to try bareknuckles and i would love to. I just cant fork out the $500 odd for a set at the moment :(
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:20 am

scuffle wrote:hey mate loving the flame maple neck! im working a flying v with a 3 piece flame maple neck at the moment. should be done in the next few weeks (provided i get enough spare time to do it)
also i must comment on active pickup debate :) i am working on a prototype model of my own single cut and i am going to be using EMG active pickups. I guess i am one of those 'old school' guys (even though im 26 years old) stuck in his ways :) i am yet to try bareknuckles and i would love to. I just cant fork out the $500 odd for a set at the moment :(
There's not many BKP dealers in Australia, I happen to be one of the few. Lundgren as well, but they don't impress me at all. Very limited range and their metal pickups are rather stale, one trick ponies.

I could hook you up with a set at less than five. I'd give you some sort if forum discount and it'd most likely be three hundred and something. Retail is usually four hundred and something, depending on which set and specs etc as there are hundreds of variations. I will admit that they are definitely not cheap pickups though. I don't push pickup sales as to be honest, once I add the freight from UK to here, then customs fees etc, it's not worth the effort, but if you're wanting to try a set, I can order them.

scuffle
Myrtle

Post by scuffle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:32 pm

wow man. that would would be most excellent. Ill let you know when I need em :)
---
Cheers,
Andrew Hobson