Tenor Guitar in Makore and Red Spruce

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Tenor Guitar in Makore and Red Spruce

Post by Allen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:25 pm

I've been asked by several past clients if I would build a steel string tenor guitar with ukulele tuning, and this has been a fun project with a couple of stuff ups along the way. Namely ruining 2 necks when I was really not fit to be out in the workshop because of injury....thus not having my head totally in the game. But sitting on my arse for 2 months was more than I could stand....Live and learn.

Anyway, the first hurdle was to decide on body size. Back in September when I was down south Nick gave me a copy of a tenor guitar plan he was finished with. I laid my baritone body template over the plan and it was pretty much a spot for length and width. That was great news, as I have cases that are a nice press fit. Scale length was decided upon at 22" as that is also what fit's into that case with a 14fret to body join, putting the saddle in the middle of the lower bout.

Then was the issue of what strings to use. Lot's of research went into that, working out the appropriate tension based on what's typical of tenor guitars. I settled on a set of strings that give pretty much spot on to 20lbs tension to each string.

The tension on my Baritone Ukes is approximately 55lbs total (string choice dependant) while this one will be 80lbs. so I bumped up the top thickness and brace height to accommodate the extra tension. I used my usual 5 fan braced pattern to limit the variables in the build, and going with something I'm very familiar with. And here is the result.

I've used the design brief from a previous client that wants a tenor guitar and been asking to make him one. He is a lefty so that's why it's strung up as such, though I've put fret markers on either side of the fret board so it could be strung up the other way with a change of nut and saddle.

Body - Makore
Top - Red Spruce (Adirondack)
Neck - Spanish Cedar
Tuners - Grover Sta-Tite
Binding - Rope
Fret Board - Ebony with 12" radius
Bridge - Gidgee
Head Plates - Unknown Burl
Finish - Mirotone Satin over Bote Cote Epoxy
Strings - D'Addario
Tuned to GCEA
Makore Tenor Guitar_2014January28_003.jpg
Makore Tenor Guitar_2014January28_006.jpg
Makore Tenor Guitar_2014January28_009.jpg
Makore Tenor Guitar_2014January28_012.jpg
Makore Tenor Guitar_2014January28_015.jpg
Makore Tenor Guitar_2014January28_024.jpg
Makore Tenor Guitar_2014January28_033.jpg
Makore Tenor Guitar_2014January28_036.jpg
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Tenor Guitar in Makore and Red Spruce

Post by 56nortondomy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Looks like another great effort from you Allen. Wayne

H3ytm@n
Blackwood

Post by H3ytm@n » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Very nice Allen. How does it sound??
Mike

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Can't play even a simple scale on it cause it's strung lefty. But the notes are loud and the sustain is huge. I'm going to try the other set of strings I brought in for it to see if there is any difference with a subtle change in tension.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:17 pm

That looks fantastic Al but I wasn't expecting something from you...... with no Rosette :shock:
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:50 am

Drop Dead Gorgeous! Love the body shape, the 14 fret join, giving the neck a long scale look. The makore is beautiful and the rope binding sets it all off. Not using a rosette the perfect minimalism in this context. And especially how it all works together, very, very nice.

How did you make/install the rope binding? Individual bits set in place one at a time? It look wide, is the interior lining extra thick to accept? Very cool!

BTW, what is the scale length?
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:46 am

I didn't put a rosette in this one because I thought it might clash with the rope binding, and the design brief was for a simple vintage vibe. As close as I could get while still bringing in my look.

Scale length is 22".

Rope binding I've had built to my specs from Gurian Instruments in Seattle. Far too much time wasted to make up something like this. They can be a bugger to bend though. Especially on that upper bout.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 am

Allen wrote:I didn't put a rosette in this one because I thought it might clash with the rope binding, and the design brief was for a simple vintage vibe. As close as I could get while still bringing in my look.
It certainly works
Scale length is 22".
Okay, so the instrument is smaller than I imagined, looks bigger.
Rope binding I've had built to my specs from Gurian Instruments in Seattle. Far too much time wasted to make up something like this. They can be a bugger to bend though. Especially on that upper bout.
Yes, I know them and have purchased bindings from them in the past, still working off my recent batch. (aside, I worked for Michael Gurian in his New Hampshire guitar shop ~ 1971). Is it like other rope bindings then, what look like large blocks of wood are actually built up with thin veneers? It looks more substantial than other rope bindings I have seen and can imagine it would be tough to bend. Nice job! Would you mind telling me the dimensions of the binding so I can put it in perspective, the size of the instrument is throwing me off.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 am

The tiles themselves are 3.2mm x 3.2mm before they are rounded over. There is a veneer on either side of them to help hold them together while bending. One side is Koa, the other is black veneer. Pick the side you want to keep for a fine accent line.

I just use my usual kerf lining sized for ukes and mandolins. Much smaller than that for guitars.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 am

Allen wrote:The tiles themselves are 3.2mm x 3.2mm before they are rounded over.

There is a veneer on either side of them to help hold them together while bending. One side is Koa, the other is black veneer. Pick the side you want to keep for a fine accent line.

I just use my usual kerf lining sized for ukes and mandolins. Much smaller than that for guitars.
Okay, thanks. Now I see, I was picturing the binding more like 6mm x 6mm in section, I keep seeing the instrument as being guitar sized.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:51 pm

Another beauty. Clean, neat and perfect, as usual.....
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:20 pm

thanks fella's. Nick, did you finish your's yet?
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:30 pm

Up to fretting and finishing, but a couple others have gotten in the way. Won't be long now....Mine has a tail and floating bridge, so it'll be a first for me in more than one way. Used a dowel and epoxy neck joint, just because. I did finish a dread and a tele thinline style this week.....
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl