First build compete

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

colburge
Blackwood

First build compete

Post by colburge » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi all

Finally completed my first build apart from a couple of minor things. It has taken a while because because I think I made a mistake on every single part of the build and had to redo things twice (or more). Here is the list of mistakes -

1. I made the top too thin at 80 thou. I ordered a new top from Tim to replace it, but I ended up just going with the original to see how it went. It is way thinner than 80 thou now due to sanding.
2. When I joined the top and back I used Titebond 3 and didn't get it perfect, so it left a horrible grey line in the top and back. I covered the back with a back strip, I should have re-joined the top but didn't, because I thought it would sand out for some reason.
3. I was too scared to use my big Triton router to cut the rosette channel so I used a paddle pop stick,xacto blade and blunt chisel instead - shouldn't have 'cause it looked rubbish. I ended up getting the router out to fix it and made the channel too wide as I measured wrong, and didn't account for the diameter of the cutter. (should have made a test cut). I then threw the top across the backyard like a frisbie. I retrieved it the next day and made a new rosette, waaaaaaay bigger than I wanted.
4. I then glued the back on crooked.
5. I took too much meat off the neck trying to get the angle right and ended up gluing more wood back on so it would meet the body at the 14th fret, it still isn't perfect, but I had enough.
6. I made a jig for my router to cut the binding channels, I shouldn't have as I f**cked up the channels too, making them really deep. I though I would be able to cut some thick bindings to cover it, but I couldn't bend them and they kept breaking. I ended up making bindings from the maple scraps from the back and gluing them in (they would bend). I then bought the proper bearings and cutter and re routed the channels over the top. I used thin binding strips this time but needed to make purfling strips as well to cover the first stuff up. Pain in the arse making them.
7. I sanded through the binding in one spot...argg. I just left it.
8. I tried using a homemade version of tru-oil as a finish. Looked like poo, so had to sand it off. Went with a can of spray varnish instead, still looks like poo.
9. Didn't get the tuners in the right spot and the strings foul slightly on the adjacent tuner.
10. I cant remember the other mistakes, but there were more.
11. I Just remembered - after I closed the box 5 cracks appeared across the top! I don't have a humidity controlled environment and was trying to get the whole thing together on the 1 day the humidity was around 50%, it obviously didn't work. I manage to glue up all but one properly, as you can see in the pics. Time will tell how long it holds together!!!

Anyway here are some pics, it is average at best, but it looks like a guitar at least. I will make a better effort on the next one hopefully.

Cheers

Col
Attachments
P1020703.jpg
P1020702.jpg
P1020699.jpg
P1020697.jpg
P1020698.jpg
P1020696.jpg
P1020686.jpg
P1020692.jpg
P1020691.jpg
P1020688.jpg
P1020687.jpg
P1020682.jpg

68matts
Blackwood

Re: First build compete

Post by 68matts » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:27 pm

It's alright Col, nothing wrong with a cock up or two, or three, or four, or...... :lol:
It's all a good learning experience and from what I can see in the photo's you've coped with most of the problems pretty well.
Learn from No. 1, move onto No. 2 and keep having fun . :D
Matt

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi Col
Dont be to hard on yourself great first build looks good from here .
We all make lots of mistakes fixing them is the hard part.
Yours sure looks a lot better than my first.
Regards Steve

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:32 pm

It looks Ok to me Col, :cl but the important thing is How Does She Sound ?
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Tod Gilding wrote:It looks Ok to me Col, :cl but the important thing is How Does She Sound ?
I am not a musician by any stretch of the imagination, and only a beginning guitarist with a $500 Washburn to compare it to, but I think it sounds a bit shit :lol: It is really loud though, and has heaps of sustain. I have no idea what a good guitar is supposed to sound like, but I don't think it sounds like this. :wink: Maybe I will make a sound clip and post it up later. It sounds like I am disappointed, but I'm not really as it is better than what I thought it would be.

Cheers

Col

Gazm
Blackwood

Post by Gazm » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Good job, Col !! Excellent aesthetic eye with the detail of matching f/board & bridge, colour of tuners & rosette balance your artistic maiden voyage.
As Tod said, it's all in the voice, mate...enjoy the journey!!

Gaz

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Looks good Col, as mentioned everyone makes mistakes, i'm on my 8th guitar and just dicovered i've put the bridge patch in for a 12th fret join when it's supposed to be a 14 fretter, box is all closed, so don't feel alone with a few mistakes. Good first effort. Wayne

DaveW
Blackwood

Post by DaveW » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi Col
Looks ok to me
mistakes ,shit if I didnt make at least 2 every step of the build I would wonder where I went wrong ??
and I know its a cliche but it is so true that you do learn more by your mistakes ,lets face it if Lutherie was easy "girls would be doing it" ..............hang on theres some fantastic female luthiers,hmm nearly made another mistake
I spose its part of the attraction if we didnt improve it wouldnt be as addictive as it is ?
Dave
The Older I Get The Better I was ?

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:46 pm

That is a very nice guitar Col, congrats! :cl

Don't even mention the mistakes you made and most people will have a hard time to spot most of the still "spottable" mistakes. ;)
I also think that the more mistakes one makes (especially unforgettable ones), the faster one can learn - either to avoid them or to cover them up respectively deal with them. 8)

Enjoy this guitar, and enjoy building the next one(s)!
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Kev3
Blackwood

Post by Kev3 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Looks damned fine to me
No expert - but consensus here is - well done!
Learning from mistakes is great, but also learning how to cover up mistakes even better :cl
Kevin

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:39 am

Thanks for the comments guys, you are all a good bunch on here.

Cheers

Col

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:38 am

colburge wrote:Thanks for the comments guys, you are all a good bunch on here.

Cheers

Col
No we're not...it's absolute shit! :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Nothing wrong with it Col, I like the look of the blonde Maple timber for a change from the Indian rosewoods e.t.c.
The fact that you've made a few mistakes and recognised them as such and that it bothered you enough to mention them here is a sign that you have the right attitude toward building and that the next will be undoubtedly much easier on your blood pressure :wink: People that know they've made a cock up but think "oh what the hell, I'll just carry on" are the people that never improve and ultimately move on to making playhuts for children ( :lol: ).
As they say "If you've never made a mistake, you've never made anything" and how you fix them is the important thing, to me you've done a pretty good job here. Keep this build in a prominent place, look at it and play it with pride as it's your first and also look at it as a reminder of what to watch out for on subsequent guitars.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 am

Nice work Col,
I bet it sounds better than you think. We are our own worst critics. As said, if you don't tell the people you show it to what errors you've corrected, they'll never know.....
:cl
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:25 am

Hi Col,

It turned out great. I really had to laugh though. Your description of the mistakes you made sounds very much like the internal dialog I had with myself when assessing mine :) .
Jeremy D

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Looks great to me, you should be proud of that and Nick is spot on "if you havn't made a mistake you have never made anything". As I am on my first have made three necks two sets of backs and sides, I just keep chucking stuff in the bin and it's only been 6 months or so how long did you take with yours?
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:26 pm

EricDownunder wrote:Looks great to me, you should be proud of that and Nick is spot on "if you havn't made a mistake you have never made anything". As I am on my first have made three necks two sets of backs and sides, I just keep chucking stuff in the bin and it's only been 6 months or so how long did you take with yours?
I think I started the build in the middle of January, so it hasn't taken that long. It should be faster the next time around because I will be using jigs and moulds etc. and I hopefully will have the right tools. I plan on making a climate controlled room in my shed and spending a little bit of money on a few quality items (if I ever get some spare money) to make things easier and repeatable.

cheers

Col

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:48 pm

What part of Brisbane are you from Col? If you don't mind traveling to the Gold Coast you are welcome to run your next top through my drum sander.
Jeremy D

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:36 pm

BBk wrote:What part of Brisbane are you from Col? If you don't mind traveling to the Gold Coast you are welcome to run your next top through my drum sander.
I am up at Morayfield 1/2hr from the Sunshine Coast; a bit of a trip to the Goldie, but thats OK - I may have to take you up on it when I get around to the next one. I was thinking about buying one with my tax cheque, but I think the money could probably be better utilised at the moment. I will definitely get back to you when the time comes, thanks heaps.

Col

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:49 pm

No worries mate, any time.
Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Lovely work for a first one Col.

What's on the drawing board for the next one?

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Bob Connor wrote:Lovely work for a first one Col.

What's on the drawing board for the next one?

Regards
Thanks Bob,

I am not completely sure yet, I think I will make a parlour size guitar or Uke, I like the small guitars. I purchased a nice set of WA Sheoak and some Claro Walnut from Tim in his sale, and I was thinking about matching that with a Bunya top I got from him earlier on in the piece. Also got some Native Olive and spruce from him for a Uke which I want to use. It will be a little while yet as I want to build a humidified / air-conditioned room in my little shed, and get set up properly as I am sick of working in disorganised filth. I also got Trevor and Gerards ' books so I am set.

Cheers

Col

"Go the dogs"

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Nice one Col.
It`s how we fix our mistakes that counts. That`s how we get good.

My first guitar is still a flat pack :D. Two more ukulele`s to finish then start my guitar.

Where abouts in Brisbane are you from?
I`m at Redbank Plains near Ipswich.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:47 am

soulman wrote:Nice one Col.
It`s how we fix our mistakes that counts. That`s how we get good.

My first guitar is still a flat pack :D. Two more ukulele`s to finish then start my guitar.

Where abouts in Brisbane are you from?
I`m at Redbank Plains near Ipswich.
I'm at Morayfield, not far really. Good luck with the Ukes, love to see some pics when done.

Cheers

Col

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:03 am

Well done Col the guitar looks fine to me. Your not on your own with mistakes in you first build in fact my fourteenth I had a major stuff up with the neck and had to build another one. You will have already learnt heaps and you next will be much closer to your expectations.

All good mate it's such a great hobby.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu May 02, 2013 10:05 pm

Ha! :D Great stuff and thanks for posting Col, well done on the tenacity.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield