Yet another shed guitar

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Yet another shed guitar

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue May 22, 2012 10:12 am

The shed down the back yard not only houses my motorcycles, but also some old junk guitars that were uneconomical to repair for the customers, and not worth my efforts once the customer leaves and the guitar stays. Guitars that are left for that same reason and I feel I'd like the challenge later I store in the workshop 'bone yard'.

Any way during a break from working on bikes [which was really a break from working on guitars] I sorted through the junk guitars and come across the one pictured here, and it still had strings on it. I picked a few strings and had a "light bulb" moment. I rushed down the house collected my slide and picks, back the shed and tuned this old guitar to an open "G". Well the top was pretty sacked out so I packed up the bridge 2mm on the wings so that it cleared the hollow in the middle, and that was the end of bike work for the next hour.

The guitar has such a great blues tone when played with the slide, the old steel strings rang pretty clear on the trebles and the bass strings give out a loud, dry kind of sound. I not too good at describing tone, but too me its a Delta blues feel, and I love it.
When doing repairs on guitars I play them all as a final check before delivery, but now and again I get one that is hard to put down and gets played a fair bit , well this guitar is like that, of all the guitars I have I love playing this parlor sized plywood, ladder braced, 23inch scale guitar with tailpiece.

One just like it is started on the workbench as I write. A very basic back porch picker, just for yours truly.

[attachment=0]1-IMGP4972.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
1-IMGP4972.JPG
1-IMGP4972.JPG (181.12 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
Taff

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Yet another shed guitar

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 am

Sound like this guitar made your day! :D
Thanks for sharing!
Taffy Evans wrote:again I get one that is hard to put down and gets played a fair bit ,
Afraid your customers read the ANZLF?
:lol: ;)
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.