Ziricote Tenor Ukulele

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Ziricote Tenor Ukulele

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi all.

This is the other Tenor ukulele that I recently completed - also hanging in the photo of me "spraying" on the roof posted a while back.

This was not a commission, but built at the same time to make the most of jig setup times etc. So this one is an exotic concoction, predominantly Ziricote - back and sides, fretboard, headstock veneer front and back and binding. The top is of sitka spruce with an Amboyna burl rosette, while the neck is very old honduran mahogany. The bridge was some of the very old brazilian I had, chosen for its ideal weight. More basic ornamentation with single line maple purfling and 12th fret inlay; a relief signature and a relief logo.

Interesting to me to compare the two instruments - both were built in the same fashion, that is, both had three fan braces of the same dimensions, two transverse and a bridge plate. Each was carved individually of course, but this was an interesting exercise. The Ziricote and Sitka was bright and very lively from start to finish, throughout all stages of the build, the plate, the rims, the box etc. The maple and Engleman unit was also, but not to the same extent and I had to work the top more thinly to "lively" it up. The finished products to my ears followed suit - the Ziricote was loud and responsive from get go. The maple was good too, but subtly different and a little less in your face. The maple however improved over the week post string up, to when it was dispatched to the customer. The Ziricote did not change notably to my ears. Can't pinpoint why aside from the differing materials to begin with. It will therefore be interesting in future to take some measurable tests of base materials, along the lines of the Gore/Gilet books, to understand how to adapt the builds for a more standardized result in my future ukuleles. I preferred the tone from the Ziricote personally, but this is subjective - although Trevor Gore may disagree with that sentiment! It appears good sound is not as subjective as we may think...

Here it is.
JFCustom_ziri_45.jpg
JFCustom_fretboard_down.jpg
JFCustom_reverse_45.jpg
JFCustom_ziri_45_detail.jpg
JFCustom_ziri_endjoin.jpg
JFCustom_back_detail.jpg
Here is a shot to show the finish -
JFCustom_ziri_mirror.jpg
Thanks again.

Jeremy.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Ziricote Tenor Ukulele

Post by charangohabsburg » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:54 am

Nice flower inlay on the back! :lol:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks Markus... I like it too :wink:

Finding that shade of yellow naturally was a challenge though... :mrgreen:

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:03 pm

I've found with high gloss finishes, the most difficult thing about them is the pictures that are expected. You have to work very hard to eliminate all those distracting reflections, or make a feature out of them. You did a great composition there Jeremy. Getting close to a calendar shot with that one.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:44 pm

That is one very flash bit of kit there Jeremy. I like the wide single purf. It loks very classy.

kevjed
Wandoo

Post by kevjed » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:38 pm

:cl
Thanks Jeremy, I think I like it so much I'll take it off your hands.
Kevin